Help with wi-fi internet access

Reaction score
I've had my MacBook Pro for a few weeks and have had no problems with my wifi but all of a sudden the past couple of days the pages started loading slowly and now will not load at all. My diagnostics show no ISP, no internet. My other devices on wifi are working fine. I've run the diagnostics several times but it just tells me to re-start the router but I've done that several times and now see the router is not the problem. Any ideas, help needed and much appreciated.

:[

OP
D
Reaction score
Well just after posting this problem on my Win 7 laptop, I went back to the MacBook and there was a new window asking for my network password. Weird.... I couldn't get to that prompt before. It is working for the time being so I hope it was just an anomaly. But I don't understand what happened.

I'll be back if it collapses again..

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay well the fix was short-lived. I'm back to not being able to connect to the internet even though there is no problem connecting to my wifi network.

Any help appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming this is a new MacBook Pro, we can probably eliminate a hardware problem. Here's what I suggest:

Take your MacBook Pro to someplace that has free WiFi: Starbucks, Panera, McDonalds, etc, and see if you can connect to their system. In other words, let's change the location assuming that your router and setup is OK since you can use other devices on the network. Let us know how that goes and we can progress from there depending on your results.

OP
D
Reaction score
Assuming this is a new MacBook Pro, we can probably eliminate a hardware problem. Here's what I suggest:

Take your MacBook Pro to someplace that has free WiFi: Starbucks, Panera, McDonalds, etc, and see if you can connect to their system. In other words, let's change the location assuming that your router and setup is OK since you can use other devices on the network. Let us know how that goes and we can progress from there depending on your results.

I will try this and get back to you.

Thanks,
Dan

OP
D
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure what the problem was...or is. I took the MacBook to the Apple store last night after work and the guy at the Genius Bar (genius) says he ran some program on it and should resolve my problem. Well when I got home nothing had changed, still no internet connection. So this morning I spent a couple of hours on chat and subsequent phone call with my ISP (Time Warner Cable) and after several attempts at troubleshooting the router I do believe that is where the problem lies. I'm using a Arris DG680 Modem/Router and I think the router portion of this device is garbage. I am going to go out today and get a stand alone router and then switch the modem into bridge mode. I've never liked this modem/router combination but now I think it's time for a change.

Now, do I want an Apple Extreme or ? Maybe over to the networking forum.

Thanks for your input.
Dan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.