Help with partitions!

Reaction score
Hi, i'm having problems with my hdd partitions. Let me first explain what the problem is and how i happened. So i downloaded OS Mavericks and i wanted to switch back to Mountain lion, so i downloaded mountain lion and put it on a USB. I made a reserve kopie and i made a extra partition. The thing is think i did wrong is that i made the partition just as big as the other one. So now i have Mountain lion installed on a 250G partition and i only have a 250G partition left for the rest of my files. I get notifications about my HD that its to small and i have to make room. So my question is, can i delete the partition with mountain lion without losing mountain lion. Or can i just make the partition smaller without ruining my macbook.
Thanks in advance! I hope i have informed you enough.

(excuse me for my English!)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your English is good... :)

At this point in time, you're probably better off starting over rather than try to manipulate partitions. Doing that will only get you into further trouble and can result in a loss of all your data.

First, make a backup of all your data that you can. Use Time Machine or cloning software such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Then boot to the recovery partition by holding down the Command + r keys. From recovery, enter Disk Utility and erase the drive. Access the partition tab and make sure your hard drive only has one partition. You can do that by removing the old partition and then moving the partition line to encompass the entire drive.

Once you have only one partition, then you can install Mountain Lion on it and restore your data.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.