Trying to burn large IMovie onto DVD !!

Reaction score
Have a new IMac, and made 3 large movies in Imovie (30 minutes long), and am having a terrible time burning them onto DVD, so my elderly parents can view them on their DVD player! Converted them to Quicktime, and burned them onto a DVD-R (4.7GB) DVD, which is enough room, but it only burned half of the movie onto it... Am I using the wrong DVD? Is there a conversion/optimizing trick I don't know about? Using SmartConverter, and then IDVD....Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you are using iDVD, then go into iDVD's Project Menu>Project Info and choose a Dual Layer disc in the DVD Type bar. You will, of course, have to use a blank Dual Layer dvd. As your movie is only 4.6Gb, you could change the encoding quality to get it to fit on a standard disc. I've done this before without any noticable difference in video quality.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Have a new IMac, and made 3 large movies in Imovie (30 minutes long), and am having a terrible time burning them onto DVD, so my elderly parents can view them on their DVD player!

Are you using an external DVD burner?...since no "new iMac's" have internal optical drives.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
BUrning Imovie to DVD

Yes, I bought an external DVD burner when I purchased the computer....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.