high temps after upgrading to OS X

Reaction score
since upgrading to OS X, I've noticed that my MacBook Pro is running at much higher temps, i.e. normally running at 40 - 50 deg C now running at 70 - 85 deg C.
any suggestions on possible fix/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do you mean OSX Mavericks? OSX has been on every Intel Mac since the beginning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Your machine can only get warmer when the CPU is working.
My suggestion is to open Activity Monitor and see which application / process is using most of the CPU.
It may be a process that is running out of control.

Another possibility is that you are blocking the air vents of your machine.
Put it on a hard surface and see if the same is happening.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
T
Reaction score
McB]ie;
Thanks, I've checked the A/M and found that as you suggested there is a process that appears to be running out of control. Its a WD external HD that appears to be attempting to run as a back up system, obviously wrongly installed by myself. I can see it in Launchpad but I do not know how to get rid of it or how to stop it from running at start up and thereafter.
Thanks
Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What program are you using on the external? Does the external appear in Disk Utility? Why not simply disconnect the external drive? Also consider running Repair Disk in Disk Utility over the external.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, I should have been more clear, the external HD is not connected but still appears to be running, i.e. CPU % runs from 0 to 100% almost as if its trying to run as a backup disk.
It does not appear in Disk Utilities. There is an icon in Launchpad and when I attempt to open, it comes up as "quit unexpectedly" I assume this happens due to the Ext HD not being connected.
I have connected the HD and cannot seem to access anything such as "setup" or the like that would allow me to change the settings.

PP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It sounds like you have installed some WD Backup software. With Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner you don't need that at all. I will check and see if I can find what you need to do to Un-Install that WD Software and get back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What is the name of that WD process / Application ?
If you kill that process, does the CPU calm down ( and temperatures drop ) ?
Does that process restart automatically once you killed it ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
T
Reaction score
WDSmartWareD, I've removed it (I think) from Applications and try to quit from the A/M but as soon as I start another application such as run iCloud or hotmail the CPU % for the WD shoots up followed by the temp. Not sure if I'm killing it at all!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you using Force Quit? The part that is running is still installed somewhere in the OS. Going to search and see if I can find out how to remove the thing! Be back if I find a solution.

OP
T
Reaction score
I agree its running somewhere in OS but am unable to find out how to stop it. Ive tried to force quit from A/M but it restarts. This is what I see when I attempt to force quit; The process “WDSmartWareD” is owned by root. Maybe this will shed some light on the situation.
Thanks
PP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24, OS 10.8
You'd be surprised how much heat your display adds [I squared R times mega-l.e.d.s]. Though I'm on an iMac 24, os 10.8, it's three years old and If I don't have the screen turned down, [Preferences/Displays/Brightness – set it mid-point] it goes about a half hour and then jumps by itself into sleep. With the brightness down, there's no problem. I even have a muffin fan blowing at the back.

RDeason, San Diego

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read both pages of the URL I posted?

OP
T
Reaction score
Dennis;
Still digested all the info and once I get over the "delete nervousness" I'll start the process and see what happens.
Thanks
PP

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dennis;
Still digested all the info and once I get over the "delete nervousness" I'll start the process and see what happens.
Thanks
PP

Sounds good. Let us know how things go!

OP
T
Reaction score
I finally got the hi temp situation sorted, I hope. It was being caused by WD having been installed incorrectly, suspected, and I installed it. Anyway I could not find a way to uninstall it and it kept running in the background causing my comp to run extremely hot. I tried many different things, some very scary for me to be doing!!! In the end I just gave up for awhile. Finally last night I had the idea to see if WD had any updated software for the "WDSmartware" that was causing the problem, and sure enough WD has issued an update for mac using Mavericks. I downloaded and installed the updated version, then turned right around and found 2 uninstall options so I used both and "Voila" no more WDSmartware running in the back ground.
Hope this helps anyone else having the hi temp problem.

take care
Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
WD's software has been causing problems with Mavericks. We recommend not to use WD's software, or indeed the software from any hard drive manufacturer, largely because there is literally no reason to do so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.