Import Gmail and Yahoo Address Books to Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive
I really thought Mail would automatically import the address books from my Yahoo and Gmail accounts when I synched them, but it didn't. Why not? Other apps can do that, including the one that came with my Kindle. How do I do this? Is there any easy way or is it going to be a huge pain?

Gmail remembers everyone who has ever contacted me.

I suppose I can continue to just use the accounts themselves on their respective sites, but there are advantages to having a dedicated app to manage email. For one- no ads.

Reaction score
Assuming you're running mavericks, click on System Preferences, Internet Accounts.
Add Gmail if it's not there already. Then select what you want to sync.
And/Or open Contacts. Under the Contacts menu, select Accounts. Add Gmail.

Would be helpful if you would put your Mac specs in your info.
<<< like here.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook MB061LL/A 13.3" 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive
I'm not. It's an old Macbook running 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Open the Address book application - Preferences - Under Accounts you can choose Yahoo and Google accounts to sync with.

The reason mail doesn't do it on it's own is because contact information can be used for various things (birthday reminders, email, postal address lists etc) so they aren't just tied to email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.