Having trouble with Mavericks on Macbook Air

Reaction score
Hi there, I was looking for some help with my Macbook Air model A1369. I had a Snow Leopard os and I updated it, and then I upgraded to Mavericks. This is when my computer screwed up and it began a restarting loop every few seconds into startup. So while my computer did upgrade, it did not work correctly.

I successfully got the computer into safe mode. I want to transfer over my important files and photos to an external hard drive, but I am unable to do this in safe mode. I heard I can connect another other Macbook to it using a firewire so i can transfer files over this way, but since my Macbook Air only has 2 USB slots and a display port, I am unable to do this. So now I am trying to get these things off my computer so I can install Mavericks using my external hard drive. First question, is there any way I can transfer files off my Macbook Air?

Something I noticed. I heard I can try to solve my problem by deleting the files in Home>Library>Preferences. I tried this, and restarted my computer into its normal boot. When it restarted, a window opened up in the top right corner that Trend Micro Smart Surfing has been disabled before it restarts. I try to search for this program in safe mode, but it is unable to find it. Another thing I noticed. While I am in normal boot, I got a few seconds before my computer restarted and was able to open up Activity Monitor and find Trend Micro Smart Surfing running. When i run my computer in safe mode, it does not show this. Either way, it does not show up as an application on my computer. Is this somehow connected in my computer being unable to startup?

Can somebody please help me out with this problem? Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I believe Trend Micro is the source of all your troubles. You need to remove it. Try this:

Boot to safe mode. Safe mode stops all startup programs which is why Trend Micro does not run. Open your Finder and see if you can follow along and go to where it's located and starting. Go to:

Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

and also look here:

System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items

If you find Trend Micro in either or both places, remove it and then restart in normal mode to see if that makes a difference.

OP
S
Reaction score
I believe Trend Micro is the source of all your troubles. You need to remove it. Try this:

Boot to safe mode. Safe mode stops all startup programs which is why Trend Micro does not run. Open your Finder and see if you can follow along and go to where it's located and starting. Go to:

Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

and also look here:

System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Items

If you find Trend Micro in either or both places, remove it and then restart in normal mode to see if that makes a difference.

I tried it but all that appears in StartupItems is iCoreServices. And all i have in Login Items is TmLoginMgr.

Give it a big miss. Any chance it came installed from Best Buy?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23489261#23489261

Yeah, I got it from Best Buy :/

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, then take a look at these instructions from Trend Micro: LINK

OP
S
Reaction score
OK, then take a look at these instructions from Trend Micro: LINK

Since I can't find Trend Micro Smart Surfing in my applications or pretty much anywhere else except the library>preferences folder, I can't uninstall it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.