• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Receding Hairline Problem. Shave or not to shave? 19 YEARS OLD!

Reaction score
So,im 19 years old and unfortunately have a receding hairline(Thanks Dad).I have recently become of the problem that this could be something that knocks my confidence when attracting girls.

This is the advice i need. Should of shave my head? (My dad rocks a shaven head but he is 49).

..Receding really bad aswell...

5f609b1dd344366f8dd433f0fa5688ea.png

If not shave it,what haircut could i possibly have?!

Advice would be REALLY Helpful.

Cheers.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I wouldn't sweat it. You look pretty good to me.

Always time to shave later if you decide to go for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You signed up for an Apple/Macintosh internet forum to make your 1st post a "should I shave my head" question.

I know that we're good...but I didn't realize that we were that good!!!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You signed up for an Apple/Macintosh internet forum to make your 1st post a "should I shave my head" question.

I know that we're good...but I didn't realize that we were that good!!!;)

- Nick

Blame Jony Ive . . . ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Seen a post similar to this but it was around 2 years ago, so i thought why not ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
I started buzzing (not shaving) in 2005 for two reasons. The first is like you I had a receding hairline. The second is I started riding motorcycles and did not care much for helmet hair. I don't take all of it off mine is more like a military cut. Now that I have done this, I would never go back to having hair. However, I am close to your fathers age. I do see younger people with shaved or military cuts and they look good.

When I decided to buzz my hair off I knew if I did not like it that it would grow back. If you decide to do it, there will be a period of time where you have to get used to it,

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I started buzzing (not shaving) in 2005 for two reasons. The first is like you I had a receding hairline. The second is I started riding motorcycles and did not care much for helmet hair. I don't take all of it off mine is more like a military cut. Now that I have done this, I would never go back to having hair. However, I am close to your fathers age. I do see younger people with shaved or military cuts and they look good.

When I decided to buzz my hair off I knew if I did not like it that it would grow back. If you decide to do it, there will be a period of time where you have to get used to it,

FWIW that's the way I wear my hair also, buzz it to about 1/8 inch and cut it again when it gets between 1/4 and 3/8 inch. :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So,im 19 years old and unfortunately have a receding hairline(Thanks Dad).

Actually, you inherited that from your mother's genes. Your maternal grandfather probably had a receding hairline. If your father also has one, that's double trouble. ;)

Rogaine! (Or, Bosley hair restoration) LINK

Aren't Mac Forums great? We not only help you with your Mac problems, we also show you how to restore your hair! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
Aren't Mac Forums great? We not only help you with your Mac problems, we also show you how to restore your hair! :p

Well, I appreciate that considering I started losing my hair because I was using Windows for many years and not using my iMac. So any kind of hair support is great! :p;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hair is over rated these days.. Its a hassle and just not stylish. I say shave it off or at least trim it all the way back with a trimmer. Thats what I do. Its fantastic never having to worry if your hair is brushed or how it looks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Exodist

How are things going where you are? I don't think you were directly affected by the typhoon since you're a bit farther up north from there (if I'm remembering correctly). Anyway, I sincerely hope the aid that's coming from the US and other countries is getting to those who need it most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nah shave it and look like the rest of us old fellas!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I always say hair don't make or break a man your personality will carry you farther with all that you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 imac, 2011 13" mbp, Ipad mini, Ipad air
Well since this is mainly a computer site I vote for photoshop
Seriously just do what makes you feel better and the rest will just fall into place

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In short follow two rules in life.

1. Only worry about the big things.

2. There are no big things just small things adding up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
@Exodist

How are things going where you are? I don't think you were directly affected by the typhoon since you're a bit farther up north from there (if I'm remembering correctly). Anyway, I sincerely hope the aid that's coming from the US and other countries is getting to those who need it most.

We are doing real good. Were actually on the largest island Mindanao just south of Cebu and Tacaloban. Were we are located on the island is in Agusan del Norte (North Agusan). Right smack between two large mountain ranges on both sides. So even though when the Typhoon passed over us, we was in the RED. The mountains knocked the winds down here to almost nothing. Think they may have got up to 20mph over night. We how ever did get a large amount of rain, but I am thankful for it as we needed it anyway. Those other islands are smaller and only have a single or small mountain range in their centers, so they are not very protective unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
So,im 19 years old and unfortunately have a receding hairline(Thanks Dad).I have recently become of the problem that this could be something that knocks my confidence when attracting girls.

This is the advice i need. Should of shave my head? (My dad rocks a shaven head but he is 49).

..Receding really bad aswell...

5f609b1dd344366f8dd433f0fa5688ea.png

If not shave it,what haircut could i possibly have?!

Advice would be REALLY Helpful.

Cheers.

Seriously?

implied-facepalm-300x195.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If a girl is going to spurn you because she doesn't like your receding hairline, then she's pretty shallow, and you don't want to get to know her anyway. That said, I'm bald on top, so I grew a beard. Well, that's not a cause and effect scenario.... My son decided to shave his head a few years ago, and hasn't looked back. Just celebrated his first wedding anniversary. He never has to pay a barber for a haircut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.....My son decided to shave his head a few years ago, and hasn't looked back. ........

Indeed.. I used to worry about my hair all the time. Even more so while I was in the Navy. But it started receding and I figured what the heck. Cant go bald if you don't have hair. Cutting that mess off was like shedding a great burden off me. Not to mention, clean shaved or buzz cut next to the skin is very professional and stylish. And did I say worry free? You will also get more respect from elders as you will appear at least more mature. And BTW, girls like mature men. They like men who will take care of them and a professional looking person looks like money bags to them. It will actually help you in the getting field, not the money part though.. LOL

C

chas_m

While I'm a lot older than you, I do remember what it was like to be 19 ... I didn't have the same perspective on this that I would now. :)

You do have a few options: there is Rogaine which can help (requires a prescription and some careful handling, and will take quite a while to make a visible difference). You can grow the hair you have long and style it to help hide/minimize the hairline, or you can shave it. Or you can become known for your hat wearing. :)

At your age, shaving your head might work, particularly if you're in good shape or engage in/take up a sport that needs some aerodynamics (like swimming, ice skating, even just running). Yes, at this point in your/their lives, some girls are going to be turned off by a bald head. Which sucks. As others have said, the worthwhile ones won't care that much. Not much consolation, I know. :)

Growing what you have long and brushing/styling forward might work out if your hair grows fairly fast (mine did back then). Could help while the Rogaine/whatever takes effect, adding a hat wouldn't hurt either. You look like a porkpie-hat kind of head to me. Do you like ska music? :)

I'd suggest you talk to a doctor about the Rogaine option, and find a good hairstylist to ask about styling options. Sorry about your genes, but with some hat fashion and one or more of the options above, you can turn your genetic lemon into some stylish lemonade. Best wishes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.