Mid 2009 MBP w/ broken disk drive-- updates and disk repairs?

Reaction score
I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro, specs as follows:

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Fair warning-- I have no idea what any of that means... I'm pretty techno-illiterate. :Oops:

Still running Leopard...

My disk drive is broken. Yes, I know that the obvious answer is to replace it... I'm looking for an option outside of that as it is financially not an option right now.

The computer doing all kinds of screwy things-- error messages every time I try to save something in Word, frequently kicking me out of Safari or Firefox, freezing, etc. Somehow I accidentally completely deleted iCal-- no trace of it anywhere-- and would reaaaaally like to get that back.

I created a new admin account to troubleshoot. No changes in function, BUT the original user account has all these random folders and files all over the place that don't make any sense to me, and the new user account doesn't. I'm not sure if they are files from original applications (Word, iCal...) that have gotten moved around and pulled out of their appropriate folders, or if they are remains from other downloaded apps, or something else entirely, so I don't know whether to delete them or just let them hang out. It is VERY possible that files that shouldn't have been touched or tampered with have been moved around, as my little brother used this computer for over a year and likes to dabble in that (he also downloaded a bunch of shoddy apps and other junk that I've tried to remove).

I have the original two gray discs that came with the computer-- the os install and the applications install-- as well as a Snow Leopard install disc. So here are my questions:

1). Do I need to do anything to fix the current problems before I upgrade to Snow Leopard (like disk repair or permissions repair...)? And if so, how do I do that without a broken disk drive? I don't have access to another Mac-- only a Dell Inspiron M5110 running Windows XP.
2.) How do I get iCal back?

Please, simple and detailed answers if possible... Otherwise I won't understand a word of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Did you use Time Machine and back up ?

OP
M
Reaction score
Eh, no. If there were a guilty-and-embarrassed emoticon, I would insert it here. I realize I've failed to do just about every "right" thing... I've moved the docs and pics I care about over to the aforementioned Dell for safe-keeping, so in terms of "losing" anything, I'm not too worried. But no, I don't have any kind of back-up to revert to in order to try and fix the malfunctions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.) You could try a lens cleaner for the DVD drive and see if it resurrects or a USB DVD drive and use your disc.
2.) You could download 10.9 from the App Store ( free) since you have a 2009 MBP but I would bump the ram to what ever your budget can handle 8GB would sort of future proof things awhile longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.