prob with iTunes radio tuner

Reaction score
I don't like new version of iTunes (11.0.2) -- can't switch radio stations....

I have a no. of stations on my Playlist.. I click on a radio station but it continues playing the one I was playing previously.. i.e., the little "speaker" symbol stays on station I was playing previously and it doesn't play the one I want to play (I double-click on station I want to play.. what other way is there? and what are the checkmarks next to the stations for?)

even if I click on a radio station and right-click and do "play this station" it still doesn't play the station I want to play..

thank you.....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't have an answer for you. I am noticing similar issues in both radio and music playback.

OP
K
Reaction score
oh brother..... is there a way to revert to an older version of iTunes?

man, what a mess... thank you....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No problem here. I just did some extensive testing by switching radio stations and also using ones that I added. How fast is your internet connection and what else is running while you're listening?

OP
K
Reaction score
I have broadband, speed is fairly conventional... nothing else is running except browser and email client.. but, again, I never had this problem with iTunes 10, so prob is not related to other stuff running on my machine.... it's only an iTunes problem...

above all am wondering if Apple is aware of this problem and is fixing it......

thank you.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple isn't going to fix something that isn't broken. I'm not saying that you're not having problems, but it may not be due to the iTunes update. As I stated previously, it's working fine for me and I'm using the latest version of iTunes.

You can try removing iTunes and reinstalling but make sure you have a backup of everything first before doing that. I don't think you can go back to a previous version unless you can find it somewhere to download.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whatever was causing my problems with iTunes seems to have resolved itself. Performance is back to what it was before. I still get some slowdowns working through my library and once in a while with radio stations but nothing like I was experiencing.

In my case some of the problem might have been network / internet related. For the tasks that I do most often iTunes seems to be most sensitive to network / internet speed issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the size of one's library also makes a difference in iTunes performance. My library is fairly small in comparison to some I've seen. We mostly use iTunes for MP3 home recordings of the work we do and to transfer those recordings to iPods and other MP3 devices.

I probably only have 10 radio stations that I like, so even that is small. I'm a bit miffed because if you don't subscribe to some of them (in other words, pay) they interject commercials. I really don't see the difference between iTunes radio and Live 365 Internet Radio which does the same thing.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I probably have a half dozen or so of the "old" stations in a short list of favorites. Most are among the "built in" stations I've just moved them to a playlist for convenience. I've been making use of the iTunes radio feature introduced recently. The selection of songs is more limited for any particular genre than say Pandora but I don't have to put up with making thumbs up/down selections to keep it playing.

Apple does need to address how iTunes handles large libraries. I've had to reload my stuff a couple of times recently. Sometimes my fault sometimes not. My biggest complaint though is that with the design of Apple TV there needs to be some type of "server" edition of iTunes that did not rely on having a computer running iTunes on all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
I'm having trouble, too, stations are not playing like they should, another station plays instead of the one I want, in 3 places at least. I never listen to that one. I don't know how to fix it, something with cache maybe? I can't figure it out, but I keep searching.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, OSX 10.8.5, 2.5 GHz Intel core i5 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - I also have an iPad Air.
It's still messed up on my end. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello out there! I'm still having the same problem, although it did work for awhile after an upgrade or two, but now it's malfunctioning again. I e-mailed Apple, the person responding to me says he doesn't know how to fix it and suggested I call Apple, but I don't have coverage anymore on my Mac, then it was suggested I go to one of their stores, which I'm unable to do also, so I asked at their support forum and got no response. :(

OP
K
Reaction score
last response I got (don't remember if it was here or elsewhere) is that radio doesn't work in iTunes anymore, unless you upgrade (not free)
(or maybe it was I had to upgrade OS (I have 10.6.8) I don't remember..

either way I couldn't fix it w/o paying some money to Apple, which I can't do....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's simply not true. iTunes Radio works just fine, but as stated above the stations require subscription to iTunes Match before they will play continuously without commercial interruption or pause.

Last edited:
OP
K
Reaction score
I think I remember now.. I think it was in Apple forum (question posted more or less on same date as this one), and response was: I had to upgrade to a certain version of iTunes (radio no longer works with earlier versions (??? -- who makes these stupid decisions?), but that version of iTunes only works with mac OS later than what I have (10.6.8...)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's right. But you can not expect Apple to continue supporting older versions of OS X forever. Snow Leopard (10.6.X) which you have is no longer supported for iTunes Radio and actually is not supported for security updates either. If you wish to remain at an older version of OS X, then that's your choice.

Here are the requirements for using iTunes Radio.

OP
K
Reaction score
well, it costs money to upgrade to 10.6.X... and: my computer is 4 years old now, and it's become very slow... I don't think it would be a good idea for me to upgrade OS.... I would probably get into a heap of trouble...;-) ok... thank you.....

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am running the current OS (Yosemite) on a six-year-old machine. The only changes from the stick setup are that it has 8 GB of ram rather than 4 and an SSD rather than standard hard drive. Everything runs quite well though I do get a beachball or two if I get too many programs open.

The programs you run regularly will also affect how well that machine behaves under a new OS. BTW if you decide to upgrade the OS be aware that 10.6.8 is the last version of OS X that can run Power PC code so you'll need to check your software to see if you need that ability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
last response I got (don't remember if it was here or elsewhere) is that radio doesn't work in iTunes anymore, unless you upgrade (not free)
(or maybe it was I had to upgrade OS (I have 10.6.8) I don't remember..

either way I couldn't fix it w/o paying some money to Apple, which I can't do....

The Radio Stations we use play properly on our mid-late 2007 iMac running OS X 10.6.8 and iTunes 11.4, but Apple did change and seemed to hide the option when we last updated iTunes.

Maybe something else is amiss…??? ;)

C

chas_m

The Internet Radio option in iTunes is still there, and works exactly as it always has. It's just called Internet Radio now (to distinguish it from iTunes Radio) and is represented by a radio tower icon on the left hand side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.