iWork Numbers - using a semicolon (;) to format rows and columns

Reaction score
I was recently sent a .txt document to import to Numbers - after importing, all rows were set up accordingly. However, all the values and data in my table have a semicolon between values as a means of separating these into columns for a cleaner look (instead of A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6 etc. I need A1,A2,B1,B2,etc)
Does anyone know a quick fix for this problem? As of right now I have 400+ rows with no columns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Unfortunately Numbers doesn't see semicolons as a valid column separator. But it does like tabs, so the best method is to replace all the semicolons in your file with tab characters.

Here's how:

Open the text file on TextEdit

Go to Edit - Find - Find & Replace

Enter a ; in the first field and a tab in the second field (to 'type' a tab hold option and hit tab. You'll see the cursor move a tab space)
Now hit All and then Done. This will replace all semicolons with tab characters.

Now go to Format - Make plain text

Now save the file and open in Numbers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.