Toshiba external hard drive not detected

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba 1TB external hard drive that I connect to my MacBook Pro. Yesterday when I connected the drive my computer did not detect it at all. The external hard drive powers up and sounds normal, but the computer doesn't detect it at all. I have a feeling the drive might be corrupted. Is there any way to recover the data on to my MacBook Pro? I have a lot of files on the drive that I would like to salvage if possible.

Thanks! Any tips are appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Is there any way to recover the data on to my MacBook Pro? I have a lot of files on the drive that I would like to salvage if possible.

Sure it's possible. Use the backup copy of the info from the Toshiba HD.

If you don't have a backup...and the drive has crashed...recovering those files will be very difficult. If you're willing to spend $99...you can purchase a program called DiskWarrior. Which can recover files under some conditions (no guarantees).

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just for the heck of it...launch Disk Utility (with the Toshiba HD connected)...and see of Disk Utility can "see" the external HD. Disk Utility has a "Repair Disk" feature that may help (no guarantees).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Disk Utility can not detect or "see" the Toshiba drive, it's unlikely Disk Warrior or any recovery software will be able to. Good recovery software is expensive so you need to determine how valuable your data is.

Also... you can try this: Open the Toshiba drive case and remove the drive from it. Then, either use an external carrier case or adapter to attach the drive to your Mac. It's possible the drive may be OK but the drive interface electronics have failed. Take note though, if you do this you will void your warranty (if any).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.