How can I get rid of feedback in Garageband?

Reaction score
I am using Garageband 09' (version 5.1) with a M-Audio Firewire Solo. Whe I connect the microphone with an XLR cable, it works fine. However, when I connect the acoustic guitar (I'm using the Dean Markey transducer for my pickup), it's not very loud, and when I turn the volume up to get any decent volume, I am always getting some feedback. I've tried different patch cables but I'm still getting feedback. This is so frustrating. When I play with the recording level in Garageband, it doesn't change. It changes when I adjust the level on the Firewire Solo.

Anyone have suggestions as to how to fix it? The Firewire Solo is old....it's from 2006. So I wonder if that's the problem. But I wonder if I can solve this without needing to buy something new.

Reaction score
You might need a pre-amp for the guitar. Is the Solo fully grounded and/or shielded? Looks like a plastic case in the pics on Google.

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't know. how can i check? I do know when I put my hand on top of the Firewire Solo the noise goes away.

Reaction score
I do know when I put my hand on top of the Firewire Solo the noise goes away.

Bingo! Probably not fully shielded. Check the owners book or ask at the web site. See if there's anything you can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.