• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any plumbers here?

Reaction score
I have a water heater that's probably 2 1/2 years old. I changed the thermocouple last year. Just had to change it again :( .
How long should those last? Every year doesn't sound right. I would think 3 to 5 years minimum.
Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
No plumber, but it should last longer than that. My first one went 10 years, and I replace it last year. Did you have a nice large loop on the extra tubing? (If you had any). How much of the tip is in the flame? Good blue pilot?

OP
cradom
Reaction score
It was slightly longer than the original but not so long it was looped. It's pre-adjusted as far as amount in flame. Yup, good blue flame.
This is a Whirlpool we bought not too long ago. And installed by a plumber (I don't solder anymore... copper pipes).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with John. My previous one went 12 years before it needed replacement. Sounds like Whirlpool may be using cheap imported parts?

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Probably, although the first replacement wasn't Whirlpool. This one is a Honeywell, maybe will last longer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with the others here. 10 Years plus typically.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a water heater that's probably 2 1/2 years old. I changed the thermocouple last year. Just had to change it again :( .
How long should those last? Every year doesn't sound right. I would think 3 to 5 years minimum.
Anyone?

Do you have any special water chemistry in your area that may be affected things? Do you you have the temp setting super hot (what temp do you have it set at)?

- Nick

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Just curious, why would the temp setting affect it? All it does is keep the pilot light lit.
Do you mean cycles? That would be the main burner.
As far as water, it's slightly hard, not enough to need a softener.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I replaced the thermocouple also in my Wall heater at the other house. It was going strong when I moved out 12 years later. All it does it keep the pilot going. The Flame of the Pilot is what keeps it warm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
Dumb question? natural gas or propane? If ng, off utilities or well head?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're talking about Texas, partner. Natural Gas of course! There's no way I would use propane tanks for gas unless there was nothing else available. Too doggone expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac I7 3.4, 1 TB Fusion, 2 gigs Video, 24 gigs Ram, Yosemite 10.10.2
Just curious, sometimes people with farms or opportunities to get free gas from well heads have to deal with impurities, which can cause more than usual problems. Most gas connections have a drop prior to the connection to the heater. Turning of the gas and removing the plug to check for fluids wouldn't hurt. You're more likely to get this with well head hookups. Not to mention utility line hook ups also, especially if you're on the end of the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Hey Craig, did a little more digging on this and found that most folks agree that the thermo's purchased at the big box stores are crap, including Honeywell. I also found that replacing a water heater with a thermo for an HVAC system will yield better life results of the part.

I got mine from a dedicated HVAC supply company that was local, so maybe those are better quality.

Good luck!

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Well, got this one at local hardware store (not big chain) it was all they had. If it goes bad I'll look up the guys at the AC shop.
Funny though, I've never had this problem before. 'Course, everything is cheap nowadays. (made in China)
Thanks guys!

OP
cradom
Reaction score
Sorry for reviving an old thread but...
Guess what I just had to do --- AGAIN!
This is getting old. :(

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We're talking about Texas, partner. Natural Gas of course! There's no way I would use propane tanks for gas unless there was nothing else available. Too doggone expensive.

Wish I had noticed this sooner. I could probably hook you up with a gent named Hill who sells propane and propane accessories. :Mischievous:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Wish I had noticed this sooner. I could probably hook you up with a gent named Hill who sells propane and propane accessories. :Mischievous:

Heck saw old Hank yesterday.. LOL

Sorry for reviving an old thread but...
Guess what I just had to do --- AGAIN!
This is getting old
I feel ya.. Stuff just isn't being made the quality it used to. I have one of those instant water heaters for our shower in the bathroom, the last one lasted less then 6 months and just started falling a part.. The next one I got and using now is from Germany.. It seems better but already have had to patch up a molded pipe inside it, though I expect the slight crack was due to excessive water pressure fluctuating here..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can't say I've ever needed to do that. 13 years in our last house, built in 1955 and just past ten years in the new house. What brand of water heater? Same part, from the same place? DIY or by a plumber? I'd advise changing one of the above. If it's not a high efficiency, power vented water heater, and you intend to replace it, that's the way to go. Find out how long the pay back time is somehow.

OP
cradom
Reaction score
It's just a regular, 30gal Whirlpool from Sears. The guy at Lowes said to call them, supposed to have a 6 year warranty. Might just do that.
Not going to replace it, it's less than 3 years old. The burner is barely rusty and I haven't broken anything on it yet.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a RUUD 50 gallon hot water heater that runs on natural gas with a powervent and expansion tank, which was installed originally in 1999 when my home was built. Fingers crossed and knocking on wood, it has never had to have any maintenance specific to the unit itself. I have had to replace the expansion tank with a larger unit by recommendation of my HVAC contractor and also the relief valve, which became leaky after a purge test (sediments had gotten lodged in the valve seat). Given that this thing has been in continuous operation for darned near 15 years, I'm fairly certain what you're experiencing is highly abnormal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.