Integrated Graphics failing? HD 4000.

Reaction score
I have a Mid 2012 Macbook Pro, Non-Retina 13"

Recently started having graphic options, look it to the apple shop but they couldn't get it to happen when it was with them so they won't replace, I have extended AppleCare if that helps at all.

I have a video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4MENiDxHQ

I'm pretty sure its the graphics failing, what are your views? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Recently started having graphic options, look it to the apple shop but they couldn't get it to happen when it was with them so they won't replace, I have extended AppleCare if that helps at all.

I'm pretty sure its the graphics failing, what are your views? Thanks.

The best thing to do is figure out what is causing it...so you can duplicate the problem when visiting the Apple Store. If something is really wrong...you want to get it fixed via Applecare.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
The best thing to do is figure out what is causing it...so you can duplicate the problem when visiting the Apple Store. If something is really wrong...you want to get it fixed via Applecare.

- Nick

Thats the issue, I can't figure it out, It never happens under the same circumstances, it happens when plugged into an external monitor and when its not, It started doing it when it was sleeping the other day, I looked over as the screen turned itself on, then it was just the static lines on the picture, And its done it ever since in different scenarios.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the issue, I can't figure it out, It never happens under the same circumstances, it happens when plugged into an external monitor and when its not, It started doing it when it was sleeping the other day, I looked over as the screen turned itself on, then it was just the static lines on the picture, And its done it ever since in different scenarios.

Two thoughts:

1. Sometimes a bad/worn video cable can be a possible problem area with graphics issues. This problem can sometimes be duplicated by adjusting the angle of the laptops display.

2. Why not show your video to the Apple Store folks?

If the problem lasts long enough to make a video of it...it certainly does sound like an issue. Maybe even make a longer video (or a couple videos) of it to show to the Apple folks.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Two thoughts:

1. Sometimes a bad/worn video cable can be a possible problem area with graphics issues. This problem can sometimes be duplicated by adjusting the angle of the laptops display.

2. Why not show your video to the Apple Store folks?

- Nick

1. Its doing it on both the inbuilt display and external ones over thunderbolt.

2. I have, but they won't do anything till they can actually see it for themselves in the store unfortunately.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes the first major step is to figure out if the problem is hardware or software related.

One way to be more confident whether it is hardware or software is to boot the computer from a different storage device with a fresh install of the Mac OS. This way you eliminate any possible interferences from other software installs. I usually do this from an external USB hard drive.

If the problem still persists when booting the computer from a secondary storage source...then this would certainly strongly point towards the problem being hardware. And if it is hardware...then you definitely want to get it fixed via Apple & Applecare.

But if it actually is software related. Then this could help explain why Apple couldn't find anything. Hardware problems are easier to find via the testing software Apple has. Software problems are harder.

By the way. Whenever I have a problem...two things I like to do are...an NVRAM and SMC reset:

About NVRAM and PRAM
Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Sometimes these resets can eliminate problems you normally wouldn't expect. That's why I do them.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.