Virtual Memory

Reaction score
My computer is running out of memory by the minute. I have 8 GB of virtual memory and 8 GB of physical memory, and my computer at this point has 739 MB. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Nixiart

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to verify...are you running out ram?...or hard drive space?

They are not the same thing...and many folks do get these two things mixed up.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Memory

Hi,

It says that my start up disc is full. I am running out of memory I think.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The "start up disk" is your hard drive - not your memory.
While technically a hard drive is memory - it is referred to as "storage" and how much "space" it has - to differentiate it from RAM which is referred to as "memory".

What size is your hard drive, how much is "used" and how much "free" space does it have?

If it has less than 1 GB free space , you are in peril of crashing the drive due to there not being enough space to run it's normal operations - having it quit on you and/or not being able to boot the machine. Would have to guess, this machine has been running pretty poorly for some time.

Your immediate concern - back up that drive "NOW" if you haven't already and delete/move some stuff off of that drive to free up more space.
And/or replace the drive with a larger drive.

OP
N
Reaction score
I downloaded Final Cut and it took up too much space, I now leave it on an external hard drive but my computer still says that I have only 700 mb of space. Does that mean that at this point it is too late to recover the space and that I just have to get another drive? I have taken all of my large files off and they are being stored on an external drive and it still says that I only have 700 mb left.

I'm confused.

M

MacInWin

Have you emptied the trash can? Deleted files go to the trash can, you have to delete them from there for the drive to show the space as free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.