• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Spotted Diçk

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok I know that thread title definitely got a lot of folks to look inside!!!;)...but I came across something very interesting this evening...and I figure it may be something our UK members (and maybe even other Commonwealth members) may be very familiar with..."Spotted Diçk" (read the Wikipedia link to learn more about it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotted_****

I'm definitely a "foody" type person...so I found it interesting. Certainly a more catchy name than "Poutine", "Vegemite", or "Bangers & Mash". Although "Bangers & Mash" comes real close!;)

300.JPG

51HFJUGytGL._SX300_.jpg

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Thats a first for me never heard of it but got a good laugh off the title.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, ever see a movie called King Ralph? It stared John Goodman. That was the first time I had heard of Spotted ****. When he first hears the name he takes it dirty! I searched for it to be sure it was for real! :D

The movie was 1991.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Looks a bit like rice pudding.

M

MacInWin

If you are a foody, then look up Toad-in-the-hole and bubble-and-squeak, two more British concoctions.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are a foody, then look up Toad-in-the-hole and bubble-and-squeak, two more British concoctions.

I have heard of "bubble and squeak"...but not "Toad-in-the-hole"...thanks.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its more like a sponge with fruit, usually currants in it.

Best made from scratch (the tinned stuff isn't the best)

Very stodgy and very filling, a very nice pudding, especially with custard, dontt let the name put you off ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hear it's quite good. would love to try it someday.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
More commonly known as 'Boarding House Pudding' here. Bubble and squeak can be described as hash browns using left over vegetables. Tell me Nick how did you get the word '****' in? Tried entering name of a leading Australian IT retailer and would not accept such a 'crude' nickname for Richard Smith. A mods only perk?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes the C has a little tail on the bottom! :D Grin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Toad-in-the-hole

I think thats a Welsh dish, basically baked eggs and flour made into a batter pudding with sausages added to the mix before baking.

Its basically Yorkshire pudding with sausages (Google Yorkshire pudding - its not a pudding by the way)

I think Yorkshire pudding is one of the great unsung greats of british food. It would be interesting if any other countries have a similar dish since its hard to explain it to someone who isn't British or Irish

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Toad-in-the-hole

I think thats a Welsh dish, basically baked eggs and flour made into a batter pudding with sausages added to the mix before baking.

Its basically Yorkshire pudding with sausages (Google Yorkshire pudding - its not a pudding by the way)

I think Yorkshire pudding is one of the great unsung greats of british food. It would be interesting if any other countries have a similar dish since its hard to explain it to someone who isn't British or Irish

I think that I'm going to give this one a try. May make it this weekend.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Tell me Nick how did you get the word '****' in? Tried entering name of a leading Australian IT retailer and would not accept such a 'crude' nickname for Richard Smith. A mods only perk?

So if someone named 0ick wanted to register with that moniker....

WOW!

M

MacInWin

One of the keys to successful Yorkshire pudding is to have the pan really hot in the oven before you add the egg mixture. If you start with a cold pan, you get what is essentially an unscrambled scrambled egg. Gelatinous and horrible. But with a hot pan, it's lovely.

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LMAO.. I feel forced to share this.. Enjoy..

Not sure if anyone noticed. But at the 55 second mark of the video...there's an SUV parked in the driveway with New Jersey license plates.

I thought the video was pretty good until I saw that. Then I thought it was lame (some New Jersey folks making what looks like a foreign commercial from New Zealland/Australia).

- Nick

OP
pigoo3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One of the keys to successful Yorkshire pudding is to have the pan really hot in the oven before you add the egg mixture. If you start with a cold pan, you get what is essentially an unscrambled scrambled egg. Gelatinous and horrible. But with a hot pan, it's lovely.

Thanks for the tip!:)

Sounds like a pre-heat in the oven first for the pan. When you say "really hot" how hot are you talking (guestimate in °F)?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Not sure if anyone noticed. But at the 55 second mark of the video...there's an SUV parked in the driveway with New Jersey license plates. ........

- Nick

Dang them Jersey Shore people!!

I never noticed that, will have to watch again.. Good catch..

M

MacInWin

Nick, according to She Who Must Be Obeyed, the oven should be 425F. Put the pan in with the butter in it to melt. She uses a Pyrex glass pan but a ceramic or even metal one should do. Leave it in until the butter is melted and bubbly, but not brown. Then add the batter and return it to the oven for about 25 minutes or until it's puffed up on the sides and brown there. The center will stay yellow, as in the picture at Wikipedia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.