Macbook Air display vs iPad mini display

Reaction score
This is could be a VERY dumb question. I am thinking of getting a iPad Mini to pair with my Macbook air. I do ALOT of tv watching and movies on my macbook air. A friend of mine has a iPad 2 and it seemed to have a better display than my air even with a lower output resolution. Why is that?

Will the regular iPad mini have a better display for tv shows and overall in general compared my macbook air?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hard to say. You didn't tell us what model MacBook Air you have.

It's also hard to say...since you didn't define what you mean by "better display". What was better about it?

Also remember...if there are no technical differences..."better display" can be a very subjective analysis. Just like looking at 20 different flat panel TV's side by side in an electronics store.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iPad has a retina screen which is why the resolution and clarity looks better. I have an iPad 3 and an iMac. My iPad 3 has a better looking screen than my iMac even though it's considerably smaller. The newer iPad Mini now has a retina screen which should give you a clear better looking picture than your MBA. That is if you don't mind viewing TV on such a small screen. My eyes are too old for that. ;)

OP
H
Reaction score
I have a 13in air that I bought this year. The image on the iPad 2 just looks clearer and looks great.

So even though the iPad mini has a lower output resolution with the retina screen it will still have a better picture? NOTE - I am talking about the regular iPad mini NOT the iPad Mini w/ retina display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 13in air that I bought this year.

This really isn't the best way to identify the model of a MacBook Air. Someone purchasing a MacBook Air "this year"...could have purchased:

- a brand new 2013 MacBook Air
- a refurbished 2012 model MacBook Air
- a used Macbook Air via e-Bay or Craig's List

Computers are technical devices...and the question you're asking could have a technical answer. But not knowing the exact model MacBook Air you have makes answering a technical question difficult.

The image on the iPad 2 just looks clearer and looks great.

If we're talking about a brand new model 13" 2013 MacBook Air and an iPad 2. The 2013 13" MacBook Air has a display resolution of 1440 x 900 (127ppi). And iPad 2 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768 (132ppi).

So technically speaking...the iPad 2 has a slightly higher resolution display than a 13" 2013 MacBook Air (132ppi vs. 127ppi). But I sort of doubt that this would be that dramatic visually.

Also consider that the two display's are:

- different sizes (13.3" vs. 9.7")
- the two displays may not have been set at the same brightness level
- the two displays may be made by different manufacturers
- the graphics processors of the two devices are different

And finally as I mentioned above...someone saying that one display is better than another display can be very subjective. Ask a 2nd or a 3rd person...and they may have the opposite opinion.

There are also ways that someone can describe what they mean by "better display".

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
This really isn't the best way to identify the model of a MacBook Air. Someone purchasing a MacBook Air "this year"...could have purchased:

- a brand new 2013 MacBook Air
- a refurbished 2012 model MacBook Air
- a used Macbook Air via e-Bay or Craig's List

Computers are technical devices...and the question you're asking could have a technical answer. But not knowing the exact model MacBook Air you have makes answering a technical question difficult.

If we're talking about a brand new model 13" 2013 MacBook Air and an iPad 2. The 2013 13" MacBook Air has a display resolution of 1440 x 900 (127ppi). And iPad 2 has a display resolution of 1024 x 768 (132ppi).

So technically speaking...the iPad 2 has a slightly higher resolution display than a 13" 2013 MacBook Air (132ppi vs. 127ppi). But I sort of doubt that this would be that dramatic visually.

Also consider that the two display's are:

- different sizes (13.3" vs. 9.7")
- the two displays may not have been set at the same brightness level
- the two displays may be made by different manufacturers
- the graphics processors of the two devices are different

And finally as I mentioned above...someone saying that one display is better than another display can be very subjective. Ask a 2nd or a 3rd person...and they may have the opposite opinion.

There are also ways that someone can describe what they mean by "better display".

- Nick

Thanks for this info! I have a brand new Air this year. So comparing that 127ppi of the Air to lets say a iPad mini with 1024 by 768 with 163ppi, the iPad mini would have a noticeable difference in picture correct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for this info! I have a brand new Air this year. So comparing that 127ppi of the Air to lets say a iPad mini with 1024 by 768 with 163ppi, the iPad mini would have a noticeable difference in picture correct?

I would think that the iPad mini would look sharper. Which in my opinion may be great for reading text...but may or may not be everyone's cup of tea when it comes to TV watching. Best idea would be to go to an Apple Store (if possible)...and check it out in person.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.