Is this how I can boost free WIFI while traveling in my motorhome?

Reaction score
What I want to do is boost the signals of free WiFi while traveling in my motorhome while I'm parked outside of places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. to my Macbook Pro and iPad. (In case its relevant, the shell of my motorhome is made out of fiberglass.)

Please tell me if this is the best way I should do this...

1) Install omnidirectional wifi antenna on roof of motorhome.

2) Run cable from antenna to signal booster inside motorhome.

3) Pick up that signal with wifi router.

Any suggestions for how to do this and products to use will be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks

Steve

Reaction score
What I want to do is boost the signals of free WiFi while traveling in my motorhome while I'm parked outside of places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Home Depot, etc. to my Macbook Pro and iPad. (In case its relevant, the shell of my motorhome is made out of fiberglass.)

Please tell me if this is the best way I should do this...

1) Install omnidirectional wifi antenna on roof of motorhome.

2) Run cable from antenna to signal booster inside motorhome.

3) Pick up that signal with wifi router.

Any suggestions for how to do this and products to use will be greatly appreciated! :D

Thanks

Steve

you essentially need a replicator of some sort, as you're going to be unsuccessful in making a meaningful way to boost your lapotp or iPad signal.

i'd go with some sort of parabolic of some sort, either have it something you cna easily move around inside (ie., set on table by window and point at building) or a pancake antena (one mounted on either side wall (outside) your camper..

then i'd get an airport base station (probably an older white spaceship design, which has the antenna jack on it), i'd convert it over to 12v --which i think is the way they're made... You can then hook it (the base station) to the antenna.. then you can use it to pump into your laptop.. OR you can use a repeater off it (another base station on another channel), and run from that..

the challenge with this setup is getting logged into any network is going to be a bit of a challenge, no matter how you do it...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do some searching on the net. I just did a Google and came up with numerous hits on various antennas for Mobile Homes and Motor Homes. Also signal boosters and the like.

In other words, shop around.

Here a LINK to get you started.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks but I have done that. I'm hoping to find someone that can translate all the technical stuff into layman terms so I'll know I'm getting the best bang for the buck.

For example, here is what I came up with...

1) Amped Wireless A8EX Power Outdoor 8dbi Omni-Directional WiFi Antenna Kit mounted on top of van over rear tire area: Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004X1IQ44/?tag=macforums0e4-20

2) Coax cable from Amped Wireless external antenna connects to Hawking HSB2 Hi-Gain Signal Booster: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009MYSHU/?tag=macforums0e4-20

3) Cable from Hawking signal booster connects to Sabrent NT-H802N IEEE 802.11n USB - WiFi Adpater - NT-H802N: http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=KT5750

4) USB cable from Sabrent external adapter goes to USB port of computer

Do some searching on the net. I just did a Google and came up with numerous hits on various antennas for Mobile Homes and Motor Homes. Also signal boosters and the like.

In other words, shop around.

Here a LINK to get you started.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have read that parabolic antennas are more efficient than omni-directional antennas but I'd rather not have to climb up there and point the thing because its a hassle and also because someone told me that they've had managers at these places come outside and tell them to get lost because they say the antenna pointing towards their store! :p

you essentially need a replicator of some sort, as you're going to be unsuccessful in making a meaningful way to boost your lapotp or iPad signal.

i'd go with some sort of parabolic of some sort, either have it something you cna easily move around inside (ie., set on table by window and point at building) or a pancake antena (one mounted on either side wall (outside) your camper..

then i'd get an airport base station (probably an older white spaceship design, which has the antenna jack on it), i'd convert it over to 12v --which i think is the way they're made... You can then hook it (the base station) to the antenna.. then you can use it to pump into your laptop.. OR you can use a repeater off it (another base station on another channel), and run from that..

the challenge with this setup is getting logged into any network is going to be a bit of a challenge, no matter how you do it...

Reaction score
You could opt for a device like the MetisAir. This works like a relay station. It comes with commercial grade aerial which picks up local wifi. It the send that data via a local wifi network to your iPad or laptop.

I believe it was originally developed for marina use but will fit anywhere. Even comes with sucker adapters to fit onto windows for the aerial. Not cheap but does work well as a range extender.
It will work off 12volt

here's a link to there web site. It's a UK company but there may be worldwide distributors

WiFi Range Extender | MetisAir

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I think the idea is that you only use those free WiFi hotspots while you're in the establishments and buying. Just saying :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think the idea is that you only use those free WiFi hotspots while you're in the establishments and buying. Just saying :)

That may be the underlying intent. However, there is no U.S. law or regulation at the moment that restricts in any way using an unlocked (password-free) Wi-Fi network. I'm just saying, those are unrestricted networks and therefore open to anyone within range - customer or not. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.