Possible iPad purchase

Reaction score
Hi all,

This might possibly be a mad request for info but here goes.Myself and the good wife,not being spring chickens,and recently changed from PC to iMac(mid 2011 model) are loving it and are thinking of investing in some more Apple gear to make life more pleasant.We are thinking iPad to start with and are wondering iPad Air or Mini but to be honest,not knowing anyone with one, know very little about them and all they can actually do.I know I know,hard to believe but that's getting old for you.

I am thinking that with the wireless signal they can do most of what the iMac can do but more portable.The iMac is upstairs,will the signal get to the iPad downstairs ok? Can it be used in conjunction with Apple TV?Not that we have one but this is a treat for Christmas and an investment in our retirement.Make life a bit nicer.We are not loaded but would love some suggestions as to what gear to buy.And final question,is the Apple TV a good investment?

I suppose we are trying to set the house up so we have better access to all things from internet books, to browsing etc.

Anyway,if anyone could take the time to suggest and I suppose enlighten,I'd appreciate it.

Sorry..I see there is an iPad 2.Would the iPad Air be a better buy?

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The iPad Air is the latest iPad from Apple. There is also a version 1, 2, 3, and 4 in addition to the iPad Mini. My suggestion for you and the wife is to actually go to an Apple Store or an Apple reseller and try out an iPad. Do not be confused about Apple Mobile devices.. they are not a replacement for your iMac or a MacBook Pro.

As for the WiFi signal getting to an iPad located downstairs... it depends on the location of your router and how strong the signal is. I have an iPad 3 with cellular capability which means I can receive a WiFi signal anywhere there is one - same as a cell phone. Again, I urge you to actually try one out and talk with an Apple salesperson who is knowledgeable before buying anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
The iPad Air is the latest iPad from Apple. ....

As for the WiFi signal getting to an iPad located downstairs... it depends on the location of your router and how strong the signal is. I have an iPad 3 with cellular capability which means I can receive a WiFi signal anywhere there is one - same as a cell phone. Again, I urge you to actually try one out and talk with an Apple salesperson who is knowledgeable before buying anything.

Hi Irishman - agree completely w/ the advice of Chscag above, i.e. you need to go to a store selling the iPad and checkout the models - if you purchase an iPad then there are options to consider, such as screen size (regular vs. Mini), storage needed, Wi-Fi only vs. a cellular plan, etc.

I have an aging but still excellent iPad 2, but will soon upgrade to the iPad Air (more RAM, faster CPU, & retina display for some 'old' eyes) - so you need to learn about the various models that are still available as 'new' devices, used, or refurbished, so another reason to 'see & touch' before making a decision.

As to the Apple TV - this is like the Roku device (which I own), which permits (in my situation), streaming via W-Fi of a lot of different media, such as movies, TV shows, music (e.g. Pandora), etc. The Apple TV is similar w/ an additional feature, i.e. Air Play which will allow you to 'mirror' the iPad and play multimedia from the device to your TV (of course, you'll want to have a HDTV w/ HDMI inputs, although other solutions exist). I'll stop there since you've been given a LOT to think about - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And final question,is the Apple TV a good investment?

This is not an easy question. I purchased a streaming device (Roku) similar to the Apple TV about 12 months ago. At the time...the Roku 2 (there's a Roku 3 now) had better specs than the Apple TV that was out at the time.

The conclusion of the review (with a bunch of different streaming devices was)...if someone already had an investment is multiple Apple devices...the Apple TV could be a better choice.

At the time (even though I had multiple Apple devices) I still went with the Roku. The Roku simply had features that I wanted that the Apple TV did not.

But things change...and can change quickly. So in the last 12 months with the release of the Apple TV 3 and the Roku 3...I would probably have to research things again between these devices.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thank you everybody.With the Apple dealer some distance away I was trying to get my head around some things before actually travelling in order that I am not taking a sales person's word as gospel.I suppose another thing I am trying to establish is if I am right in thinking that size and power aside,can an iPad do what a desktop or laptop can do.Internet etc.Is Apple TV needed to play material through an iPad on to a television?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
...........I am right in thinking that size and power aside,can an iPad do what a desktop or laptop can do.Internet etc.Is Apple TV needed to play material through an iPad on to a television?

Hi again Irishman - concerning your first question above, I would again agree w/ Chscag, i.e. the iPad complements the other machines mentioned in his quote below, but will not be a 'complete' replacement - now depending on one's needs and w/ a BT keyboard the iPad can be a close substitute - when traveling now I no longer take a laptop, just my iPad w/ a stand & keyboard - enough for checking email, writing messages, and browsing the web.

Regarding you second question, the Apple TV or Roku are attached to your HDTV via an HDMI cable (at least the way that I use my Roku) and use the Wi-Fi signal of you home network (assume that you have a Wi-Fi router & a HDTV?); now w/ the proper adapter, the iPad can be directly cable into a TV, e.g. I've used an HDMI adapter that connects my iPad 2 to my HDTV. Apple TV adds the extra feature of using Air Play which is a 'wireless' option w/ no need to cabled you iPad to the TV. I would suggest doing some googling on Roku, Apple TV, and AirPlay just to better understand your options - good luck on your choices - Dave :)

....Do not be confused about Apple Mobile devices.. they are not a replacement for your iMac or a MacBook Pro.

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.Our needs are I suppose typical of age group or of us shall I say.No gaming,no need to bring devices outside of house.Just handier internet access for lady wife around the house( small 3 bed up and down) with her streaming some TV content through the local Irish stations,and BBC Radio 4.Maybe looking at photos but not much more.For once there is a few bob and although another desktop could be bought and put somewhere else which would be my preference, she is thinking of couch,handiness,bed early with Radio 4 whatever else she comes up with.I suppose it is a complete change for us,now retired,to be getting into this gear considering she never turned on a computer up to ten years ago.So yeah, we don't need anything high tech,just convenience but I do understand that a device,handheld shall we say,will not really replace the desktop and if it wasn't for her need to move around the house,I'd get another desktop.Thanks again

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Irishman. From what I'm reading it sounds like you're pretty committed to getting an iPad...and much of your questions are related to an Apple TV (get one or not).

I woud recommend doing some internet searches...and reading some reviews on the Apple TV...AND...finding articles that explain what streaming devices like the Apple TV and Roku are capable of. Once you have a better idea of what these devices do...the better you can determine if getting one is right for you. My wife and I own two Roku's (living room & bedroom).

You could also try a different approach...just get one.:) The Apple TV is almost the least expensive piece of hardware you can purchase from Apple...so you can't go too wrong by getting one & experimenting.:)

Depending on how far away your closest Apple Store is...and how much it will cost you to get there (both ways). Those travel costs could pay for half of the purchase price of an Apple TV.

Some things to consider,

- Nick

p.s. Please stop talking about your age, age group, etc.;) We have lots of members here in their 50's, 60's, and 70's...even a few in their 80's. You're never too old to learn!:)

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.Sorry about the age thing LOL,just reckoned I was an oldie when it came to,shall we say,more modern equipment.Will do as you suggested.The Apple TV as you say is pretty reasonable compared to other Apple hardware,just over €100 so it is not as big a risk,or as big as venture into the unknown.But will travel to Apple dealership, which is just a small segment of a dept store,and check the iPad out.Thank you again everybody.Very addictive stuff !
Regards

Larry

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick.Sorry about the age thing LOL,just reckoned I was an oldie when it came to,shall we say,more modern equipment.

Just trying to make you feel more welcome. We have a pretty diverse group here at Mac-Forums!:)

Will do as you suggested.The Apple TV as you say is pretty reasonable compared to other Apple hardware,just over €100 so it is not as big a risk,or as big as venture into the unknown.But will travel to Apple dealership, which is just a small segment of a dept store,and check the iPad out.Thank you again everybody.Very addictive stuff !

Since it's free...do a little bit of internet research on these devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.). Many times they do side by side comparisons...which gives you a good pro & con of each device. Just so you feel a bit more comfortable before purchasing.

By the way. I'm not sure how soon you intend on purchasing an Apple TV. But sometimes the Apple TV shows up in the refurbished section of the Apple internet store (Apple Store UK). This can sometimes save you 15-20% versus the new price. If you're going to buy an iPad as well...check for refurbished iPads also. Although brand new just released models may not show up there yet.

- Nick

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks again Nick.I would be lost without this site and the help people like yourself give because at times I haven't a clue and so I am extremely grateful for all the help.I think we will take one step at a time and get the iPad,either Mini or Air as I gather from just reading that they have the same inners, with the screen size being the difference.We are looking at changing service provider for the telly,so we might wait until we do that and then consider the Apple TV.

Kindest regards

Larry

OP
I
Reaction score
Sorry,another question.What advantages are there to an Airport Express? Does this improve the wireless signal around the house and would it be of benefit with an iPad? Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
But things change...and can change quickly. So in the last 12 months with the release of the Apple TV 3 and the Roku 3...I would probably have to research things again between these devices.

- Nick

Just get both - what I've done.

Although, the Apple TV is rarely used any longer since a) keeping my videos online and b) have airplay on my a/v receiver.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.