Playing MIDI files

Reaction score
Probably an old potato but how can I get my MacBook Pro to play MIDI files please? I need to download some to learn some music for our Carol concert!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Converting midi to mp3 or AAC

Probably an old potato but how can I get my MacBook Pro to play MIDI files please? I need to download some to learn some music for our Carol concert!!!

I wish I knew. Previous versions of iTunes (i.e. pre 10.5) allowed conversion. I had hoped to retrieve the old version from my Time Machine but that didn't work.

I really cannot understand why Apple have 'improved' iTunes by removing a useful facility.

It is possible to buy converters but why should we have to? I have a music writing programme called Noteworthy that only works in Windows and will only convert to midi.

In theory it should be possible to write music in Garage Band but I have yet to master how to write a simple score with it!!

Very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
The first page of results from a Google search mostly seem to lead to this - Sweet Midi Player http://www.ronimusic.com/index.html - a little expensive but I think the trial version should play your files OK.

Hope this helps,

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Quicktime 7 can be downloaded and plays them. If you try to play them through your current version of quicktime it will direct you to the correct version..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Quicktime 7 can be downloaded and plays them. If you try to play them through your current version of quicktime it will direct you to the correct version..

Most useful. Thanks for the tip. However it is a fact that I used to be able, at no cost, to download midi files to iTunes, probably v10.4, and convert them to AAC. This meant that I could write my voice part and save it to iPhone and learn it. It may be that some copyright issues arose. If so it would be useful if this could be clarified.

Presumably Quick Time 7 Pro can do this but it isn't free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.