Ugraded to Mavericks & Now Preview CAN Open Password Protected PDf Files - WHY?

4:3

Reaction score
I saved a file from Adobe Illustrator as a pdf with two passwords. The first password was for permission to open the file. The second one was for editing the file, with all editing turned off without the 2nd password. I then opened the file in Preview and Preview asked for a password to open it. I entered the password and opened it in Preview. I then did a simple edit on the open file - I rotated the image - which caused Preview to display a message saying that because the original file was password protected it had made a copy of the original file, which it rotatedt. I was then free to further edit the copy of the pdf it had made. So exactly why is Preview allowed to bypass a password protected file produced by Adobe Illustrator from its Master Collection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It hasn't bypassed the protection. You're working on a copy. Are you able to modify the actual content? (text, images etc)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nothing wrong with Preview, because you provided the passwords to open and edit and confirmed to create a copy of the PDF to work on.
There is nothing wrong with the controls you put in place on the original PDF.

Cheers ... McBie

OP

4:3

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with Preview, because you provided the passwords to open and edit and confirmed to create a copy of the PDF to work on.
There is nothing wrong with the controls you put in place on the original PDF.

Cheers ... McBie

No, I never provided a password to edit it. I only provided a password to open it. Upon opening it I immediately tried to edit it, such as rotating it, and Preview NEVER asked for a password to edit it - it simply displayed a message that it had made a copy of the password protected file that I was free now to edit (i.e., adding text, rotating, and so forth). What exactly is the point of adding a editing password when Preview just makes a copy of the file and allows you to edit that? Or perhaps Adobe Illustrator's protection scheme just sucks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
My bad .... I just read your post again and you are right. Apologies mate.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.