Tray vs slot loading external optical drives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac with OS X 10.11.2 -16GB memory
The Optical drive on my iMac no longer works. I am going to buy an external optical drive that will read ( play) and write CD's and DVD's . A while ago I read that the slot optical drives go bad more often then the tray loading external drives . Is this still true?
Also what external Optical drive is recommended for my iMac. I am running Snow Leopard OS-X 10.6.8 and have 4 GB of ram . If this is not the correct section for this question feel free to move it . Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Externals are invariably external. A Samsung SE-208 is cheap and has a good name. Is bus powered which means does not require mains plugs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Stick with any good quality tray loader. I have used Sony and Samsung tray loaders and never had a problem with either one. The latest one I'm using now is a Samsung I picked up on sale at Best Buy for $29.95. Works great.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Stick with any good quality tray loader. I have used Sony and Samsung tray loaders and never had a problem with either one. The latest one I'm using now is a Samsung I picked up on sale at Best Buy for $29.95. Works great.

Shows how much prices have dropped. I have a couple of external drives salvaged from old computers. About two years ago I thought the drive in myMacBook Pro was starting to go so I put one of the drives into a case. I spent more on the case than you did on that drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I saw a couple of Samsung's on Amazon that had good reviews and reasonable prices .
My computer is 6 years old so I will not spend the money to have the internal slot Optical drive repaired . I figure in a couple of years I will need a new computer .

Another question. I have a few CD's that I burned on a PC when I had one. At the time I was running Windows XP. ( Now I have Snow Leopard .)
Will an external Optical drive open and read those ? Or do I need some special software to open those ?
Thanks again
Barbara

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends what program was used to burn the CD's. bHopefully you used Nero, which is made by the same company that makes Toast for Macs. You may be looking at purchasing software, if it is important enough.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't buy any special program to burn the CD's. I used what came with my computer and Microsoft XP .

After I get the external Optical drive I will see which CD's will or won't open and take it from there

Thanks

pod

Reaction score
'' A Samsung SE-208 is cheap and has a good name ''

I'll second that: I bought one new, off ebay for £20 including delivery to install some software on my Mac Mini. It connects via USB flawlessly and although a bit flimsy, for £20 I have no complaints: it reads and writes discs without any issues.

Reaction score
I didn't buy any special program to burn the CD's. I used what came with my computer and Microsoft XP .

After I get the external Optical drive I will see which CD's will or won't open and take it from there

Thanks
A CD burned on a PC can be read on a Mac. About the only thing I've run across that cant be read are data Cd's burned in Ubuntu. They use a different file system.

Sly, I also bought an external case and paid twice what he paid for that drive. And this case was from Newegg who are pretty cheap. Next time it's a trip to BestBuy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.