MBP Owner with Questions

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro. About 3 months ago I went to have some software installed on it and the RAM increased (Yes, I know i should and could have done it myself). During this time the individual working on my MBP was arrested and went to jail for stolen computers. I was finally able to recover my laptop, and it is no longer functioning. It appears that the RAM, battery, and HHD have been taken. I am also missing all the screws along the side and bottom of the laptop. I am trying to test the system and see if it is still salvagable, and I have a few questions. I posted on another forum and didnt get much response so I am going to try here.
1) Will I still be able to power up the laptop without any ram or HDD inside? I have connected charger and I get no start up sounds.
2) Anyone have a schematic to help me indentify the missing screws?
3) Does anyone have screws, RAM cover, or battery they want to get rid of?

I don't have the extra money for a new computer with the holidays coming up so I'm just trying to put what I have back together.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
1) It will not do anything without Ram installed, and then will not proceed to a full boot without the hard disk

2) iFixit to a step by step tear down of most macs, including your model

3) I might have the screws (dont know about the ram cover) and you can get the batteries online for not too much

Where in the world are you

PS. I have 2 gig of ram you can have (2 x 1 gig modules) if that helps

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Wow. That is definitely a Mac horror story if ever I heard one.

You can probably find the screws as well as the diagrams you need to decide which screws are missing at iFixit: The free repair manual. They have this kind of information for many different Mac models so make sure you are looking at the one for your machine.

I think you should be getting a sound even with no memory or hard drive. You don't get the normal sound but I think the breaking glass sound occurred when there was no memory present. I'll do a bit more checking on that. Makes me wonder if other things aren't missing such as the internal speaker.

OP
S
Reaction score
I see we both in Louisiana Slydude!!! I am going to take some pictures of it when i get home. Im offshore now and dont have it with me at the moment. Just not sure the diagram will give me the exact size screw that goes in which hole.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Had a quick look on their site and have not found the screws yet although they are probably there. It shouldn't be too hard to find the information that you need to put things right. I think those screws are pretty standard sizes.

Without knowing the specific model number (there were a couple during that timeframe) here's an example of what's out there in the way of screws etc. MacBook 13" (A1181) Repair Guide Service Manual. The pdf at the top of that page has a link to a pdf with directions. The directions seem to include the sizes of the various screws. If yours is not the 13" I think they have it for others.

I'm in North Louisiana probably a few hours from where you are. On dry land awaiting tonights Saints game.

OP
S
Reaction score
We watching the Saints from 192 miles out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico tonight also. I have a A1226.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a link that might be more relevant. There rate three models with that designation on their site. The differences are minor (CPU speed mainly) if this is not the right guide search the repair guides andf you should find it right away MacBook Pro 15" (A1226) Repair Guide Service Manual

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Sly!!! Im going to try and look at these tonight and see if I can start making heads or tails of this laptop.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Glad to help. If the Louisiana contingent doesn't stick together certain Canadians might try to take over the territory again. :Mischievous: Can't have that. My French is really rusty.

OP
S
Reaction score
I agree...I was able to find all the screws and ram door online for $12 so hopefully i can get this thing back together with everyone's help LOL

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet. Glad to hear that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.