Background music

Reaction score
When I open any program and check on the sound icon (black triangle) I get a disturbing piece of music. For instance, when I open a video in Safari I get the music on top of the voice from the video.
How do I turn off the music?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have any extensions loading in Safari or plug ins? That music sound is probably not being generated from your system but it's likely coming from an extension or plug in.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, chscag.
Thank you for your suggestions. I must admit that I’m a surface user only of Mac, so I don’t know how to investigate whether I have extensions or plugins. I have a rudimentary knowledge of plugins, and know that I (may) have permitted installation of plugins in the course of time, but not any connected with music, I’m sure. Can I use Finder to locate them? Do they have a special file extension? Can you give me any suggestions how I shall seek further evidence? I can inform you that I don’t use Itunes at all. Any help appreciated.
I have found that other users have had the same problem as myself. See the post from ccviot in the forum Web Design and Housing (2012) who describes exactly my own problem, but don’t seems to have got the problem solved (?), or the post from ekologik on OSX-Apps and Games (2009), who likewise didn’t got the problem solved in Mac Forums as far I can see. It looks a little disappointing.
I see on the internet that Google Crome is able to block up all plugins. Is that a possibility for me to use? It may ruin the useful plugins, but they may be installed individually afterwards, I assume.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you're using Safari, click on Safari Preferences, and then on the "Extensions" tab. If there have been any extensions or Plug ins installed, they'll show up there and can be uninstalled.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks!
The music has disappeared. You led me on the right track. I first followed your suggestions and clicked in Safari the “Extensions” tab, but the only extension listed was AdBlock 2.6.14 which (of course) gave no result when uninstalled. Then on my suspicion I called up iTunes from Applications where it was parked. I clicked Preferences and tried Parental Control Preferences. I disabled Podcasts, Internet Radio, iTunes Store and Shared Library and then clicked the OK tab. When I checked on the Sound Icon on the Menu Bar: Silence. Farewell, piano chopper!
When I tried to remove the disable marks again, the music did not reappear. Mysteries! But I am content.
Your help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad you got it resolved. I suspect it was the internet radio that was the culprit, but if all is well now, who knows? Anyway, have fun and visit often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.