Apple based programs will not open after os X Mavericks update

Reaction score
As mentioned I updated to Mavericks, biggest mistake. None of my apple made programs will run (app store, preview, calendar).

Does anyone know how to solve this? I cant find any info on it

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Do they just fail to launch or crash?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you do a Get Info on some of the programs and tell us their version numbers?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since those programs come with Mavericks, there is something very wrong as all those run just fine on Mavericks. You are not by chance trying to run older versions of those applications on another install of OSX are you? Are you launching the apps that are installed in Mavericks?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That was my thought as well Dennis. Without knowing more about exactly what happens it's hard to say what's at the door of the problem.

Reaction score
Apple programs won't open WebCore Plug-in warning

I downloaded Mavericks two days ago, everything was fine then this evening when I tried to open any of the Apple products like Safari (currently using Firefox), App Store (to check for updates), dictionary, mail, ibooks, itunes etc. I get the yellow waring boxes saying that

'Safari quit unexpectedly while using the WebCore plug-in'

ibooks was and itunes did actually open but when I clicked on istore in itunes or a book in the ibooks, the same warning appeared and quit the program.

Any help would be appreciated, and I'm not very technically minded.

Thanks

Julie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Safari, click on Preferences, then click on the "Extensions" tab. Now, disable the extension called "WebCore" by clicking on it in the left side of the dialog. Once it's highlighted, go to the right and select "uninstall". After it finishes, restart Safari.

You should be OK once that extension has been removed. It's not compatible with Mavericks is why you're getting the error.

Reaction score
Thanks chscag, everything is fine now, I don't know where the Webcore extention came from.
Cheers

Julie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Usually associated with software developers and maintainable code.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Thanks chscag, everything is fine now, I don't know where the Webcore extention came from.
It's part of WebKit and used in any WebKit based application (any application that taps into OS X's libraries for displaying web content). Thus, it's not something that you would have installed consciously nor is it something that you could have avoided.

From the sounds of it, some extension was acting a little wonky. Glad everything is solved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.