Deleting email from the sever

Reaction score
Hi - I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. How can I set up email to delete the email from the server when I delete from the MacBook Pro, but leave it on the server when deleting from the iMac?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's the same account (ISP), you can't. In other words, if both machines are accessing the same server, you can't have it both ways. With separate accounts and servers for each machine, then yes.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. Disappointing but informative. So.... does the first delete from either machine delete the email from the server, or does it require both. I assume the first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well chscag my ISP has email available on the server when I access with both iMac and Dell Latitude using Windows 7 and seems to disappear only after the second access. Does the removal only apply if you are using two Macs?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, it depends on the setting from the first machine to access the server whether it be OS X Mac Mail or MS Outlook Mail from Windows.

I used to access my GMail account from both my Mac and Toshiba PC. For example: If I accessed the GMail server with the Toshiba and had it set to remove mail after downloaded, then when I accessed the server again from Mac Mail, the mail would already be removed and not downloaded again. And vice-versa.

IMAP works the same way.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks cshag. But what you described on the Toshiba (If I accessed the GMail server with the Toshiba and had it set to remove mail after downloaded, then when I accessed the server again from Mac Mail, the mail would already be removed and not downloaded again) is exactly what I want to achieve with either my iMac or MacBook Pro. But apparently this is not possible with Mac email...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not what you asked in your first post.

Hi - I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro. How can I set up email to delete the email from the server when I delete from the MacBook Pro, but leave it on the server when deleting from the iMac?

OP
L
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't read your post closely enough. What I think I'm learning: If I delete an email from either Mac before the second has had a chance to download it, it is removed from the server and no longer available to either machine. But if both machines have downloaded the email, the first one to delete it will remove it from the server, it's just that it is still in memory on the second.
Pls let me know if this looks correct.
Thanks...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now you got it. :) Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but it's been a busy Monday!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.