Removing Software

F

floorjack

Hello all...
Just bought a new iBook 12" mainly for GarageBand and music use. I have a questions about removing software I'm not going to use, I did a search on the forums for software removal, about dragging the program to the trash bin, my question is, does doing that remove everything associated with the program? I bought this laptop mostly for my home studio, so I don't want/need any of the photo or movie programs. Thank you

OP
C

catchawave

Nope. You'd be surprised where it is all hidden on your computer. The best way I know of (to get it all) is to go into your HD icon and find what you want to get rid of and spotlight it there. That will bring up a list on the bottom of where it all can be found and start deleting each and every file.

OP
R

radarbob

floorjack said:
I did a search on the forums for software removal, about dragging the program to the trash bin, my question is, does doing that remove everything associated with the program?
NO. I know this for certain, but I am not as adept w/ OSX as I was with the "classic" Mac OS so I can't say what all to be looking forl.

However, I know that many programs also have a .plist file. This file typically is where the preferences you've set are stored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I know this is an old post but i would like to know as well if there is a program that eliminates unwanted programs for the mac.I have a G3 ibook.Thanks for the help in advance

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
try appzapper.

welcome to the forums!

edit: ooh, just saw the G3... are you running 10.4? you'll need it for that app.

Reaction score
I know this is an old post but i would like to know as well if there is a program that eliminates unwanted programs for the mac.I have a G3 ibook.Thanks for the help in advance

Just drag the app/s to the Trash as stated earlier, and do a search for anything related to the program/s in mention. This is really all that's needed.

Any files left over after doing this would be quite small in size.

Reaction score
Guys don't make the Mac sound so complicated...

To uninstall a program:

1. Drag the application to the trash.

But apps leave some residue, true, but usually this adds up o a few megs over years. But if you are a clean freak, the simplest way is to use AppZapper.

Of course you can go hunting down on your hard-drive, but I usually don't feel comfortable wandering around system files.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yogi, i saved nearly a gig removing the iwork app's "residue". the extras can be quite large, and just annoying to know it's still there.

and this guy can't use appzapper as has been said.

Reaction score
Well, I am one too... :) ... The guy deleted his account, anyway. So I guess he was unhappy here...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Well appZapper for OSX 10.2.8 will not install for me.However i will be updating my OSX to Tiger.Thanks to the help that i have recieved here.

Reaction score
If an application has never run, there wouldn't be any associated files, would there?

Well, excluding MS apps that create their files as soon as the computer is turned on because they're created by all-pervading but invisible omega-zeta ultra-high oscillating rays constantly broadcast from Redmond and that can be stopped only with tinfoil.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Once an app has been partially removed, AppZapper or AppDelete can't retrieve the rest, it's too late. I use AppZapper immediately on the app before doing any manual delete and it works very well. There are apps that have their own uninstallers, of course, like M$ or Adobe apps, so I use those specialized uninstallers to prevent further problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.