TurboCAD OS X vs Windows

Reaction score
Has anyone on here used the turboCAD mac edition?

If so, is it as good/better than using it on windows? Or would it be better to install windows onto my mac and use it to run the program?

OP
Joncon
Reaction score
I have read reviews for both.

I was hoping there might be someone who had used both and was willing to offer a comparison.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have had users of Turbo Cad state that they preferred to run in it in Windows. But be advised that it does not run as well using virtual software as it does when running it from a dual boot. (Boot Camp) The reason is because of the better graphics acceleration provided when running in native Windows.

OP
Joncon
Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

I'll just go ahead on install windows on to my mac then!

Thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Just a note: I've run Autodesk Inventor for Windows on my 2011 21.5" iMac as well as my 2012 15" MBP. Have had no hassles working in 2D and 3D, although I used relatively small assemblies (<=30 parts/sub-assemblies). I use VMWare Fusion to virtualise.

OP
Joncon
Reaction score
Thanks Checco. My MBP has 4GB of RAM, do you think this enough to run VMWare without drastically slowing it down?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
System Requirements for Fusion. Download a trial and test it out with 1GB on the VM and see how it runs. If you see that the VM needs more RAM or that OSX is battling, then it'll be a good idea to add more RAM. If your CAD usage is going to be demanding and/or if it's a production machine, then I'd go for the upgrade.

If you do go with Fusion, I'd recommend the non-Pro, i.e. cheaper, version for your purposes.

One further thing to consider. If there is an appreciable difference between the Mac and Windows versions of TurboCAD, then go with Windows. If not, stay native. If needs be, contact the makers of TurboCAD and get the low down. I suppose one other item is whether you need any other plug-ins, such as CAD/CAM - would they be OSX compatible?

OP
Joncon
Reaction score
Thanks for the response.

I think from what you have told me and what I have read that going through windows is the best option. I would like to do a bit of gaming as well so i am going to use boot camp.

Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.