2 iPhones / 1 Apple ID :/ ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
I guess I have to post this here as it has to do with the Apple ID and not actual iPhone hardware...

I have 2 numbers (work and personal) and I'm thinking of getting the new 5S for my work number (I have 4S for my personal one at the moment and a Samsung for work). Can anyone please tell if I need to create a second Apple ID to use on my second iPhone or can I still use my current Apple ID which is registered with the 4S?

Thank you!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You do not need a 2nd Apple ID for multiple phones and generally speaking 2 Apple IDs for a single individual is bad news.

The problem will arise using the same iCloud ID if you do not want to sync the same contact list and a few other things to both phones.

Wife and I use the same Apple ID. I use that ID for iCloud and she has her own iCloud ID for syncing her contacts, Safari bookmarks, etc.
If you want different contacts on both phones - keep the same Apple ID, and get a new iCloud ID for the 2nd device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It is possible to share an iCloud account with 2 devices. It takes some specific set up and then some adjustments on your iPhone. For instance, my wife and I created separate groups on our Mac for our contacts. She has her group with all of her contacts and I have mine. I activated iCloud sync on my iPhone for contacts and it gave me everything, including my wife's group of contacts. But I opened contacts on my iPhone and unchecked her group and now I don't have to see them anymore on my iPhone. Same goes for calendars. I don't know about Mail because she never set up her email with the Mail app.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Thanks ppl! I don't mind having the same contacts on both phones, or iCloud...actuallly, it would be better!

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
When you get your new phone, I would suggest setting it up as a copy of your personal phone as the baseline. Once it has been set up like that you can then tweak the work build to be how you prefer.

When I had both a personal and work iPhone this was how I handled it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.