Macbook Hard Drive question

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a Macbook that is damaged. It does not turn on now. I took the hard drive out and it does not seem to be damaged. My question is, is there any way I can get the data off of the hard drive? I have thought about putting it into another macbook but I need to find someone who is willing to let me do that. The Apple store was of no help. Is there anyway I can plug it into my new laptop as an external hard drive? Knowing that it is an "internal" hard drive, this might be difficult. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a Macbook that is damaged. It does not turn on now. I took the hard drive out and it does not seem to be damaged. My question is, is there any way I can get the data off of the hard drive? I have thought about putting it into another macbook but I need to find someone who is willing to let me do that. The Apple store was of no help. Is there anyway I can plug it into my new laptop as an external hard drive? Knowing that it is an "internal" hard drive, this might be difficult. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated.

there's a quick way to get the data off it..
buy a Sata->USB adaptor kit (amazon has 'em for under $10)...

Amazon.com: Patuoxun USB 2.0 to Sata Converter Adapter Cable w/ 2.5" 2.5 Inch Hard Drive HDD Case: Computers & Accessories

plug your drive in, plug both the USB plugs in, and boom, you're done!

OP
J
Reaction score
received the adapter..

How's it going again? I received the USB2.0 to SATA adapter. Plugged it up and my computer is not recognizing it. I can go into device manager and it is listed as USB storage. In properties, it says Hitachi (the hard drive I have plugged in) and it that it is working properly. There is no drive listed under disk drives for it. I am not sure why it's not recognizing. There is a red light on the adapter that says "power". There is another light that is not lit up that says "access". The hard drive is from a mac laptop and I am plugging into a PC. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The hard drive is from a mac laptop and I am plugging into a PC. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Windows can not read a drive formatted to HFS (Mac format) without a driver. If you no longer need the data on the drive you can format it with Drive Manager. Otherwise you will need to spend money on a driver that can read HFS so you can extract data.

Paragon Software sells HFS+ for Windows: $19.95 Download LINK

OP
J
Reaction score
Windows can not read a drive formatted to HFS (Mac format) without a driver. If you no longer need the data on the drive you can format it with Drive Manager. Otherwise you will need to spend money on a driver that can read HFS so you can extract data.

Paragon Software sells HFS+ for Windows: $19.95 Download LINK

Thanks for the help! I am using my girlfriends macbook! I found all my files. Now, the problem is getting them to my pc laptop. I wanted to also put everything onto box.com. I tried uploading "folders" and it will not let me. This will be a pain to upload just "files." I believe it is because her macbook is out of date. It is running OS X 10.5.8. I can't even get Chrome. So, if you know of any way to update this computer to allow me to upload my files to internet storage, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.