Upgrade to Maverick

Reaction score
I currently run the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 should I upgrade to the new OSX? I mainly browse the web and email. How do I install? Thanks, Al

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I currently run the Snow Leopard 10.6.8 should I upgrade to the new OSX? I mainly browse the web and email. How do I install? Thanks, Al

This is really like asking..."How long is a piece of rope?";)

Is there anything you cannot do with OS 10.6.8? Common reasons for upgrading an OS are:

- Incompatability with hardware?
- Incompatability with software?
- Want new features available in new OS version?
- Just want the latest & greatest?

You also did not tell us the specs & model of your Mac computer...so we cannot even determine how far of an upgrade you can do (if necessary).

Bottom line. If you mainly browse the internet & do e-mail...and have no software or hardware incompatibility problems...you are probably fine just as you are.:)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Upgrade

Thanks for the reply Nick, It seems they try to get me to update every time I go into my Yahoo. I think I will stick to what I have as I don't have any operating problems. The one thing that did interest me was the promise of better security. Al:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The one thing that did interest me was the promise of better security. Al:)

Security updates are something to consider.

The biggest problems folks have when up upgrading their OS (without doing their homework first) are:

- Upgrading the OS...then finding out that many of their older apps. are not compatible with the new OS version. Those older apps can be expensive to upgrade.
- Upgrading the OS...then finding out old hardware they own is no longer compatible (printers, scanners, etc.).

If all you do is internet & e-mail...you would really not have much to be concerned about if you upgraded your OS. Other than if you have a really old computer (or a computer that needs upgrading...more ram)...and the new OS slowing things down.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.