:Shouting: Don't Buy Used Apple Products With iOS7 Update!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 i7, MacBook Pro 15 i5, MacBook 2.4, iPad, iPhone
I bought a used iPad 2 from eBay last week and all worked well until I wanted to restore it and sync to my computer. After restoring and installing iOS 7 Apple will ask for your iCloud account. If you bought a used Apple product and the previous owner synced their FindMyIphone account with iCloud, you wont be able to use your "new" Apple product without having the previous owners password! :'(

I've tried everything.. From contacting the buyer to contacting Apple, no clear answer yet. I understand the security measures Apple is trying to make but, people will get ripped off even more! So I'm stuck with a paper weight iPad that I can't use because of the new "security" apple setup.

Anyone else having this issue?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you not just erase it and start over? With IOS7 I have no idea.

OP
MacForCash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the thing you cannot! Apple placed this system for stolen devices and when you try to restore it still saves the previous owners iCloud account. Apple said unless you give them a proof of purchase receipt they can't do anything!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yeah, this is a responsibility of the seller to remove the iOS device from their iCloud account before selling it.

If you can contact the seller, ask him/her to do so. They sign into icloud.com, click on the Find My iPhone icon and select the iPad from the "All Devices" drop-down in the center of the screen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a used iPad 2 from eBay last week...

...you wont be able to use your "new" Apple product without having the previous owners password! :'(

I've tried everything... From contacting the buyer to contacting Apple...

You mentioned trying to contact the seller/previous owner...did you ever hear back from them? If not...did you Pay for the iPad with Paypal? If so...file a dispute...and return the iPad.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You mentioned trying to contact the seller/previous owner...did you ever hear back from them? If not...did you Pay for the iPad with Paypal? If so...file a dispute...and return the iPad.

- Nick

x2. File a dispute through Paypal or eBay. Be advised, an open dispute can lock your Paypal account so if there is money sitting in there you best yank it out first. I'd definitely not let this stand though. Get a refund, a usable device or at least wreck the seller financially if possible...

OP
MacForCash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SO.. After all the stress and thinking I managed to get the seller to unlock the iPad! Phew. I really don't think that apple's new security measure will work. Its just too much work and it will scare away customers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
SO.. After all the stress and thinking I managed to get the seller to unlock the iPad! Phew. I really don't think that apple's new security measure will work. Its just too much work and it will scare away customers.

From what I'm reading...this situation was made more complex due to a seller selling a used iPad that wasn't fully restored to it's original factory state. Making things much more complex for the new owner/buyer.

This is really very similar to a person selling someone a used Macintosh computer...and either not telling the new owner the Admin password for the computer...or not restoring the computer to it's original "new state" (without an admin password)...for the new owner.

I think that the security features that Apple has in place are for the protection of the current owner. For example if the current owner takes their iPad "out into the world" with them...and it gets stolen or misplaced. Then the current owner has more protection.

I don't think that the Apple security features are there to make it easy for a buyer of a previously owned piece of Apple hardware to gain access to the device.

If the device has not been reset BEFORE the ownership transfer (sale) of the used device (from the old owner to new owner). From the perspective of the device (iPad)...this situation is no different than if the device was stolen...and the "thief" was trying to gain access to it.

The lesson here is...a device like an iPad needs to be reset to it's factory settings before the seller transfers to the buyer. Or at least the seller disables all security features BEFORE selling to the buyer.

The security features are there to protect the current owner of the device...not future owners.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Spot on Nick. Not Apple's problem at all. Check out a seller's feedback carefully.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Apple did with IOS7 was even more illuminated today. Facebook put out an update. With IOS6 and before you can stop Auto Updates. Every IOS7 user I have talked to says you can NOT turn it off. The Facebook app has issues and I see 1000's of posts of people who depend on that app to talk to family and friends and it's broke. They had no say if the Update installed or not and now it's broke till the app is fixed. Not a good thing. I am sure many IOS7 lovers will hate me, but it's hurt many friends of mine who had no idea the app had issues.

And if you restore from an older backup, give it a few min and IOS7 will autoupdate it again and break it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
From what I'm reading...this situation was made more complex due to a seller selling a used iPad that wasn't fully restored to it's original factory state. Making things much more complex for the new owner/buyer.

This is really very similar to a person selling someone a used Macintosh computer...and either not telling the new owner the Admin password for the computer...or not restoring the computer to it's original "new state" (without an admin password)...for the new owner.

I think that the security features that Apple has in place are for the protection of the current owner. For example if the current owner takes their iPad "out into the world" with them...and it gets stolen or misplaced. Then the current owner has more protection.

I don't think that the Apple security features are there to make it easy for a buyer of a previously owned piece of Apple hardware to gain access to the device.

If the device has not been reset BEFORE the ownership transfer (sale) of the used device (from the old owner to new owner). From the perspective of the device (iPad)...this situation is no different than if the device was stolen...and the "thief" was trying to gain access to it.

The lesson here is...a device like an iPad needs to be reset to it's factory settings before the seller transfers to the buyer. Or at least the seller disables all security features BEFORE selling to the buyer.

The security features are there to protect the current owner of the device...not future owners.

- Nick

This is so true Nick, BUT you cannot install or pie the iPad/iPhone with iOS7 with Find my Phone on anyways, so the seller has done a clean install then gone ahead and set up Find my Phone and hence iCloud again and to me, that just doesn't make any sense.
So Apple have implemented a work around, and the seller just doesn't active at Find my Phone once its got a fresh iOS7 on it and everything is right to go.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
One of the first things I did when setting up my new 5S was turn off auto updates.

I have not yet had my 5S auto update anything...
I have 7 available updates right now.
Even the iOS 7.0.3 update sat there for a few days before I manually ran the update.

The setting is in:

Settings - iTunes and App Store - Automatic Downloads
There is a specific one there for 'Updates'
Personally, I have everything turned off in this section, including the 'Use Cellular Data' for auto downloading.

Even so, the Facebook problem is a Facebook problem.
Even if auto updates had been turned off, I seriously doubt that 1 in a hundred people that noticed an update to the Facebook app would have gone to the web and researched whether that update was causing any problems before they touched that little 'Update' button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Find my iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and iOS7 is causing lots of aggro, although Apple meant well by potentially killing off the market for stolen devices, which is good.

At work, testing and replacing iPads and iPod Touch's used to be a simple straight forward process. It still is relatively when you deal with the customer face to face. Even if the product is not functioning it takes no time to check in Apple's GSX if 'find my xxx' is turned on and getting the customer to access iCloud.com to turn it off. Problems arise when you receive products from stores, not dealing direct with the customer. A simple task often then becomes a time consuming drawn out nightmare.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
These are just transitional problems. It appears that sellers are not used to resetting their device to factory before the sale (though I personally find that a scary concept - I would never sell a device with any of my own data left on it). Buyers are not used to asking whether this has been done.

In 6 months there will be enough awareness in the market place that this will be a non-issue. In 12 months time people will have forgotten it was ever a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Every IOS7 user I have talked to says you can NOT turn it off.

Let me add to your iOS7 user list and say, yes you can. It's just a simple slider in Settings - iTunes & App Store

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me add to your iOS7 user list and say, yes you can. It's just a simple slider in Settings - iTunes & App Store

Thanks for that. I don't own a device that will run it and saw many saying you can not shut off Auto updates in IOS7, Glad to hear you can!

C

chas_m

I really don't understand why so many people who use Apple products and love them are so prone to jump to wild conclusions that Apple has suddenly turned evil like Google and is now treating their customers horribly.

I've been using Apple products for about 30 years now. Apple is prone to moving the furniture around a lot, yes. They are prone to trying new ideas that don't always work and reverting back when that becomes obvious, yes. But I have not ever seen them do anything that would indicate that they want to hurt users for the fun of it (unlike some other companies I could name ...). Ninety times out of 100, waiting a week or asking someone will "fix" the thing "Apple screwed up" (very deliberately in quotes there).

Apple is far from flawless, but they are also very far from malicious.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I really don't understand why so many people who use Apple products and love them are so prone to jump to wild conclusions that Apple has suddenly turned evil like Google and is now treating their customers horribly.
Evil's a strong word for a company that has done...? After all, Apple (and most likely others), use manufacturers who make use of child labour, make use of shady tax shelter practices, fail to properly inform people of their legal warranty rights and become overzealous when responding to product leaks. ;)

As noted, nNone of that criticism is necessarily specific to Apple - most tech companies seem to do the same stuff. It's important not to put one company above the others when it seems like most of them do "evil" things in their own way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Can you not just erase it and start over? With IOS7 I have no idea.

Nope, not without the iCloud account ID and Password. Its a real pain in the rear..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Nope, not without the iCloud account ID and Password. Its a real pain in the rear..

But surely that's the point. It's meant as an anti theft measure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.