2nd Monitor Colour Issues

Reaction score
-I am using an NEC Spectraview Reference 271 with a 3.4Ghz i7 iMac as a 2nd monitor. (16gb Ram / AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB /OS X 10.8.5)
-Both monitors are calibrated and have their own unique icc profiles.
-When viewing the same website on Safari on both monitors, the colour is identical, but if I open a 2nd tab in Safari on the NEC the colour profile seems to go out the window and everything takes on a reddish hue…however, a quick check under system preferences confirms that both monitors are still on the correct calibrated icc profile.
-I have downloaded Firefox and the same thing happens.
-When I use Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop there are no issues in colour between the two monitors, this is purely web based.
-I have a MacBook Pro and if I connect the NEC to the MBP it does NOT exhibit this issue.

The strange thing is I have had the same set-up for a few months and this seems to have only started this week as I regularly have several tabs open in Safari on both monitors and bounce between projects. I have not downloaded any updates or changed anything in the set-up.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Have tried to duplicate your problem with my iMac. I have an older Gateway monitor connected to my iMac . Both of which are calibrated. Sorry to say I get identical results on both monitors with multiple tabs open. No sign of a red bias. Now OK I am on Mavericks which is supposed to have better second monitor support. But I've used this system way back to Snowy with no problems.

Bit of a shot in the dark, but have you tried disabling flash to see if this makes any difference

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Chappers

Many thanks for your response...appreciated!!!

To this day, I still do not know what was causing the issue but a complete re-install of OS X sorted it out...I hear that Safari 6.1 can sometimes cause issues and as my MBP was not exhibiting the issue when the NEC was plugged into that I realised that it had to be OS based. Safari 6.0.5 seems to work fine and the colour issue is no longer prevalent...

Many thanks again!!!
JTN

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.