Mac Pro Freezing ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
My MacPro 2.93 GHz (Quad Core 2.93 2009/Nehalem) just started Freezing several months ago.

It happens randomly, and almost everyday now. I tried disconnecting the USB connection, but that never helps. So I have to push the Power Button to Force Shut Down, then reboot.

There are no Error Messages.

What could possibly be wrong?

Also, Safari started suddenlty quitting about the same time. Could it be an issue with Safari, or something else? My Three-Year Extended Warranty has expired and I can't afford to take my computer to the shop. I'm hopig this is something I can resolve at home .....

I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, with 8GB of RAM. I am only doing basic computer stuff, like surfing the Internet, checking E-mail, listening to Internet Radio, watching YouTube videos. No gaming, and no heavy graphics.

Sometimes I use iPhoto or iTunes, but not very often.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What could possibly be wrong?

Many times ram or expansion cards can be the problem. Here are the first things I would do:

- remove & replace the ram
- remove and replace any PCI cards you have (video card, etc.)
- do an NVRAM reset
- do an SMC reset

All of these things cost nothing to do...will not harm your computer...so give them all a shot.

If the problem persists...then you could have bad ram. The deal here is to remove all the ram...then test one ram module at a time...till you find a possibly bad ram module. If the problem persists after testing all ram modules individually...then it could be the video card (need a good video card to confirm).

The last thing to try is booting from a different hard drive (with the proper OS installed on it of course).

If after all this the problem persists...then it could be something more serious.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also try booting from the Snow Leopard DVD, leave the Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported to check out the hard drive.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Many times ram or expansion cards can be the problem. Here are the first things I would do:

- remove & replace the ram
- remove and replace any PCI cards you have (video card, etc.)
- do an NVRAM reset
- do an SMC reset

All of these things cost nothing to do...will not harm your computer...so give them all a shot.

If the problem persists...then you could have bad ram. The deal here is to remove all the ram...then test one ram module at a time...till you find a possibly bad ram module. If the problem persists after testing all ram modules individually...then it could be the video card (need a good video card to confirm).

The last thing to try is booting from a different hard drive (with the proper OS installed on it of course).

If after all this the problem persists...then it could be something more serious.

- Nick

Thanks for the Suggestions. After running Disk Warrior, no Freeze yet .... I will leave my computer on all night and see if it freezes overnight .....

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Also try booting from the Snow Leopard DVD, leave the Installer and go to utilities > Disk utility and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported to check out the hard drive.

I'll give that a try right now .....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.