I know that it has been asked before but .......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
...... Please help a numpty.
It's about this Bootcamp malarkey. I've thought about it long and hard and there's just no way that I can avoid running some Windows programmes that just won't work on a Mac.
The snag is that I'm a complete numpy when it comes to computers. I know that I have a Bootcamp App in my Apps folder and a Win 7 disc, but where do I go from there?
If some kind soul would be so kind as to write out a step-by-step list of what I need to do to make Windows work on my computer I'd be ever so grateful. Failing that, just a link to a demo of what I need to do would be nearly as good.
Cheers,
Steve

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A step by step is provided in Boot Camp Assistant - open it - click the link that says 'Open Boot Camp Help'.

I suggest anyone wanting to install Windows read through it "twice".
It's fairly simple and it's not that long.
It doesn't get much simpler than what Apple has already provided.

After you have read through it twice, then you can find the same online tutorials we can find by searching google. But, you'll find they are the same as Apple's - maybe more pictures.

When you're ready, I would also print it out, so you have it in hand to follow along while working through the steps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And remember the Windows 7 disc needs to be 64bit preferably, and activating is precisely the same as on a Windows PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
It sounds like you don't have any special (e.g. gaming) needs for your Windows applications. Why not run Windows in a Virtual Machine? It's explained in Nick's first link above...but it basically allows you to run Windows as an app on the Mac, with all Windows' programs running inside of it. You can easily swap back and forth between Mac and Windows without having to reboot your system, maintaining a good degree of the Mac experience!

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Arghhhhhh!!! ..... I was getting on nicely with the links that you guys have kindly provided but then Checco came along and threw a spanner in the works. Am I right in thinking that with Checco's plan, I will be able to have an icon on my desktop that I can click on to to open up Windows and from there I will be able to run the progs that I need?
Cheers,
Steve.

ps .... Sorry for the delay but I've been very busy just lately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
Virtualisation runs an operating system within the operating system, as if it's a program. You typically have three options (see attached screenshots for reference):

1. Single Window: Windows is run as an App, as if you have a monitor within your monitor and you run programs inside it.
  2. Unity: Windows programs appear on the dock (I personally don't like this one), almost as if they're native OSX apps. Note the OSX Word next to Visio for Windows and Windows Calculator overlapping both.
  3. Full Screen: as per 1 above, but full screen. Windows is the Desktop labelled VMWare Fusion, with Visio and Calculator open.

If you don't have serious processing/graphics requirements, it's a nice and easy way to go, complete with 3 options.

Single Window.png

Unity.png

Full Screen from Mission Control.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Arghhhhhh!!! ..... I was getting on nicely with the links that you guys have kindly provided but then Checco came along and threw a spanner in the works. Am I right in thinking that with Checco's plan, I will be able to have an icon on my desktop that I can click on to to open up Windows and from there I will be able to run the progs that I need?

This is covered in link #1 in my earlier post.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.