Keychain access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Hi all.

I've forgotten my Keychain password. Can anyone help an idiot out ? Is it possible to retrieve or reset it ? :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Unless you changed it, it will be the same as your login password.
If you changed it, you can only reset the keychain which will result in all the old data being put aside. There is no way to recover the current keychains password.
Resetting your keychain in Mac OS X

Once you do that, Safari and anything that gets it's passwords from it will have to get it's password re-entered.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Alex.

I thought the password would be the same as my apple one, but it's not letting me in. Looks like I'll be in a bit of trouble here.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The idiot suddenly remembered his password... phew. Think I'll have to start writing them down.

C

chas_m

Glad you remembered it, but normally the keychain password would NOT be your Apple ID -- it would be your *login* (otherwise known as "admin") password, the one you use to install software.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas.

My head hurts with all these passwords. I've decided to put them on a disc and keep them separate; that way, if I get in trouble I can use my wifes laptop to find them.

M

MacInWin

Try 1Password. Get a version for the Mac and for your smartphone. Sync through the cloud (dropbox or iCloud). That way you have the passwords wherever and whenever you want, but they aren't available to anyone else. You only need to remember the password for 1Password, but that's only 1 Password.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.