first time account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now
Hello

How can you set up a new user account with a new/used computer? We tried `user' and `admin' as paswords you know what that got us. The people who sold it are too busy selling more and more and more and more...... to tell us the password to use.

Ron

Reaction score
Did you get an install disk when you bought it? It's always a good idea to reinstall the OS on a used machine. Who knows what the previous owner left on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
How can you set up a new user account with a new/used computer? We tried `user' and `admin' as paswords you know what that got us. The people who sold it are too busy selling more and more and more and more...... to tell us the password to use.

Hi Ron - I'm a little confused (and assume others are also); first, you bought a 'used' iMac - correct? Second, are you able to login to this computer or are you locked out? If you have enough information to get into the computer, then go to Settings > Users & Groups, and start there - if this does not work for you, then please post back w/ a clearer explanation of your problem. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Did you get an install disk when you bought it? It's always a good idea to reinstall the OS on a used machine. Who knows what the previous owner left on it.

Hi Craig - excellent point! I've never bought a used computer, but have 'given away' plenty to Goodwill - always wipe the HD just to get my information off! Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.