• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Old MacPro is Gone!

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
I was just thinking about pricing it out for myself. The 27" Mac display is I believe 1k.
None the less more than I need to spent for what I do.
Some reports of delivery pushed back until Feb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
For the heck of it I configured a new Mac Pro as I would buy it (if I were currently in the market) and it priced out at $3899 for the base model upgraded to 16GB Ram and 1TB Flash Drive.
Not cheap, but not totally out of range either.
Still, I would be more inclined to pickup a refurb 2012 Pro and upgrade it to suit me.

I did similar as well a few hours ago. $3399.00USD, 3.7 QuadCore, 16GB RAM, 512GB FS and rest stock base model.

But then again, waiting to see what the new Mac Minis bring in about 6 months.. Mac Pro seems overkill for photography and web surfing.. LOL

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I did similar as well a few hours ago. $3399.00USD, 3.7 QuadCore, 16GB RAM, 512GB FS and rest stock base model.

But then again, waiting to see what the new Mac Minis bring in about 6 months.. Mac Pro seems overkill for photography and web surfing.. LOL

I have been wanting a Pro, but decide it didn't make sense for my applications (same as yours). My 2012 model MBP will be serving double duty as laptop and desktop.

1) Wallmounted 27 in Monitor on swing arm next to my recliner (already done)
2) Book Arc stand for MBP (planned purchase)
3) Wireless Keyboard and Trackpad (already have)
4) 1 TB M500 Crucial SSD (planned purchase)
5) 16GB RAM upgrade (planned purchase)
6) NAS (already have)
7) Mac Mini network server (already have)
8) 3TB USB 3.0 HD attached to Mini for remote storage (already have)
9) And, of course, several external HDs for backups

I figure this will take care of me for several years to come

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well it looks like things are getting overloaded at Apple with the new Mac Pro (Built in the US isn't it ?? From memory) Anyways, only a few hours after going on sale, the date went from Dec 30 2013 to February 2014 sometime. I think they might have underestimated the popularity of the product, and i say a **Good up yours** to all those that thought this was a deal breaker for Apple. I love it, and still say, anything that can daisy chain (3/4/5??) 4K monitors is Grunt waiting to get out. What gets me upset is, they have lanched 10.1 for FCP X to show off the Mac Pro performance, but nothing about a new Aperture :(
Here is the story anyways . . Apple’s Mac Pro ship date quickly slips to February 2014: Smacks of the iMac fiasco of 2012

“The Mac Pro situation smelled a bit like the iMac debacle in late 2012, when Apple announced the redesigned desktop, but then took weeks to deliver orders,” Keizer reports. “[Apple CEO] Cook ended up regretting the hasty iMac introduction, which was a major cause of a 22% decline in Mac revenue in 2012′s fourth quarter compared to the same period the year before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I have been wanting a Pro, but decide it didn't make sense for my applications (same as yours). My 2012 model MBP will be serving double duty as laptop and desktop.

I figure this will take care of me for several years to come

I have been considering a 13" MBP as a dual purpose as well. Desktop use at home on a bookshelf stand, then as a mobile solution when on the go. I have a iPad Mini currently as my mobile solution, which does what I want. But also depend on the futures on Mac Minis. So many options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
W........ but nothing about a new Aperture :(

I am not sure why Apple hasn't updated Aperture, it needs a major overhaul and update. This sadly is why I am using Lightroom.

C

chas_m

They'll get to Aperture. You don't really need a Mac Pro if your primary app is Aperture. You might need one if your moneymaker is Photoshop. :)

As for the February date, I'm always amazed at what short memories Mac people seem to have. The iPhone 5s got hit with a wave of popularity, few to be had on launch and delivery pushed back (in October) to December and then just (no date) ... ie they weren't sure they could make December!

Come December oh look they're everywhere.

Same thing will happen with the Mac Pro ... wait a couple of weeks and you'll see the ship times drop back down in stages ... guaranteed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They'll get to Aperture. You don't really need a Mac Pro if your primary app is Aperture. You might need one if your moneymaker is Photoshop. :)

I wouldn't even go that far to say Photoshop. Although it will utilize your systems video card, still not all the functions in PS do and the ones that do are still don't use it to the fullest. I would be more inclined to say a good iMac with a top of the line mobile video chipset.

Now what would use a Mac Pro to the fullest is say CAD programs like Solidworks, or software used for number crunching for SETI or Medical Platforms. And let me not forget the mass of the market for the new Mac Pro would be video editors without a doubt.

Then again, it depends on how patient the user is and if its a business were does productivity and development cost meet.

My personal stand point based on todays current Mac desktop models:

Mac Mini - Photography, Moderate graphics design and occasional video editing.

iMac - Commercial Photography, commercial graphics design, moderate video editing.

Mac Pro - Commercial Video Editing and Production, 3D Modeling/CAD and model simulation, Number Crunching for Medical and Stellar Research.

EDIT:
After posting this I realized. Apple doesn't have any "real" servers. They sell the Mac Mini as a server platform, but it isn't. Although it doesn't take much of a CPU these days to be a server, it lacks the ability to hot swap disk drives and it doesn't offer the data integrity(error bit checking)that a Xeon based server system would. This was a nich that the Mac Pro was covering. But no one wants dual video cards in a modern server. So were does apple go from here with a server platform. Could they offer a Xeon based Mini without disk drives allowing one to purchase a RAID system separately? Or could they sell a Mac Pro in the futures with a low end video card and internal Flash storage running in RAID mirroring?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I

iMac - Commercial Photography, commercial graphics design, moderate video editing.

While the iMac is a great machine, the monitor leaves a lot to be desired for anyone using it for critical color work like Commercial Photography. It can't hold a candle to the standards for critical color, like NEC and Eizo.

For that reason alone I eliminate any Imac as a production machine for photography where critical color is important.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Um, you should read Anandtech's review on the new 21.5" iMacs display. DEAD ON with no calibration needed. Superb in fact. Both Anand and his partner were knocked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Um, you should read Anandtech's review on the new 21.5" iMacs display. DEAD ON with no calibration needed. Superb in fact. Both Anand and his partner were knocked out.

Uh, I have.

Dead on to WHAT exactly?

Calibration changes over time and needed to be redone on a regular schedule. In addition, critical color requires different calibration points for different needs. For example a pre-press calibration is different than a web delivery calibration which is also different from a print matching calibration. Finally proper calibration needs to be done at the monitor lever rather than done with the graphic card LUT's. This is not possible with the iMac.

And calibration is not simply color but its properly controlled luminance as well, yet another iMac weakness.

The iMac is a nice machine, but its not even close when it comes to critical color.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Use whatever makes you happy. The review covers more than just one test on the display. I just did not want people thinking it was not an accurate display and not purchasing due to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry you disagree with the review. Anand knows his stuff. Few disagree but I guess you do. Use whatever makes you happy.

You really failed to read and comprehend my reply. Oh well. Anand showed you ONE point of calibration to ONE standard. I don't disagree with this other than it's totally useless in the world of critical color, which was and still is my point.

If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you.

This is probably taking things a bit too far. To say that the color calibration on newer iMac displays is "pedestrian" might be a bit harsh. If we were talking about some sort of "el cheapo"...$150...off-brand display from Walmart...I would agree.:)

Maybe the color calibration on newer iMac's isn't up to the standards you need (which is perfectly fine and understandable)...but to say that the color calibration is pedestrian might be over-stating things a bit.. I'm sure that the Anandtech's review "dtravis7" referred to has some truths to it...since those reviews are always very technical, well written, and objectively assessed.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is probably taking things a bit too far. To say that the color calibration on newer iMac displays is "pedestrian" might be a bit harsh. If we were talking about some sort of "el cheapo"...$150...off-brand display from Walmart...I would agree.:)

Maybe the color calibration on newer iMac's isn't up to the standards you need (which is perfectly fine and understandable)...but to say that the color calibration is pedestrian might be over-stating things a bit.. I'm sure that the Anandtech's review "dtravis7" referred to has some truths to it...since those reviews are always very technical, well written, and objectively assessed.

- Nick

No I hit the nail directly on the head in the CONTEXT of my original post.

BTW I did not call the the calibration of the monitor "pedestian". Lets review:
"If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you."

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW I did not call the the calibration of the monitor "pedestian". Lets review:
"If your color needs are pedestrian, then perhaps an iMac will suit you."

What I'm REALLY trying to say is...please dial-down the "snarkiness". We like to keep things friendly.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I'm REALLY trying to say is...please dial-down the "snarkiness". We like to keep things friendly.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Do you like to keep things fact and context based?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you like to keep things fact and context based?

If you're a photography professional (which it appears you are)...you probably know a lot more about color calibration than most of us...and color calibration is probably much more important to you.

All opinons are appreciated. We at Mac-Forums like to keep things friendly and respectful.:)

Thank you,

- Nick

p.s. We are certainly off-topic. If there are any further comments regarding posting style...please send me a PM. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just don't want users here thinking the iMacs display is not accurate as the review shows it is and not just one test either. Some of the displays that we are talking about here earlier cost as much as the iMac. I would HOPE they are accurate! :D Grin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can understand where Craig is coming from. As a professional he probably knows more about color correction than most people and since he earns his living that way, he would want the very best in color monitors.

My iMac is great for what I use it for. I can't tell the difference between a monitor which has been color corrected and one that hasn't been anyway. Solitaire looks pretty good on this iMac monitor! :p

Have a Merry Xmas and remember the reason for the season!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.