Graphic software for Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac with 8GB RAM 1TB HDD and 32GB iPad 3 WiFi
Does anyone know if there are any free graphics programs for Macs besides Gimp? I am used to Photoshop but it won't work on my Mac because it is made for PC. I don't want to install Windows or any software that will allow PC programs to work. I am just looking for something for Macs, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I do a lot of graphics work. I am not familiar with free programs. I do use photoshop cs6 and lightroom 5 and both are available for macs.

The Photoshop CS6 for mac is $650 for the standalone version. Adobe is pushing for everyone to subscribe to their CS6 Cloud programs for a $49.99 per month. They are discontinuing standalone versions to increase revenue. I figure I will be with CS6 forever. Not willing to pay the monthly fees. I didn't mind the upgrade fees but I don't like cloud based programs.

Lightroom 5 is around $150 and is an excellent program for photography touching up among other things.. If you are familiar with Photoshop and have never used Lightroom there is a learning curve. Also you there are things you can do in Photoshop you can not do in Lightroom and vice versa. Both are very powerful photo editing programs.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping for something for free but everything free I download is bad. I don't care for Gimp at all the interface is terrible, at least for me. I was hoping not to have to purchase Photoshop again but it is looking that way, lol. Thanks for the reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was hoping for something for free but everything free I download is bad. I don't care for Gimp at all the interface is terrible, at least for me. I was hoping not to have to purchase Photoshop again but it is looking that way, lol. Thanks for the reply.

Why not give Pixelmator a try? Not free but inexpensive & a 'free trial' is available - Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for Pixelmator. The price went up recently from $14.99 but it's still a great buy for $29.99. And as you found out, the GIMP is a difficult program to learn but once you do, it's almost as powerful as Photoshop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was hoping for something for free but everything free I download is bad.

Sometimes you get what you pay for!;)

- Nick

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not give Pixelmator a try? Not free but inexpensive & a 'free trial' is available - Dave :)

This is a lot better, thank you. :)

+1 for Pixelmator. The price went up recently from $14.99 but it's still a great buy for $29.99. And as you found out, the GIMP is a difficult program to learn but once you do, it's almost as powerful as Photoshop.

Gimp is powerful however I spend all my time trying to figure how to do something and don't get any work done. I will try Pixelmator. I downloaded it and using it now. I still have to learn it but it seems to have a much better interface then Gimp.

Sometimes you get what you pay for!;)

- Nick

You got that right! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I tried weaning myself off of Photoshop years ago, and after about a month, the credit card came out and Adobe got a little chunk of change from me.

I gotta wonder if it's possible to swap licenses for a Mac version?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I gotta wonder if it's possible to swap licenses for a Mac version?

You need to call their customer service and ask. As far as I know, it was possible to do just that as recent as version PSP 5.0. I don't know if they'll still do it considering they've changed their licensing recently.

OP
CPulsar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My PC version is Photoshop 7.0 so I don't think they will do that, too old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a lot better, thank you. :)

Gimp is powerful however I spend all my time trying to figure how to do something and don't get any work done. I will try Pixelmator. I downloaded it and using it now. I still have to learn it but it seems to have a much better interface then Gimp.....

Retired now but I was an academic radiologist, so had to put together a LOT of talks - on my office PCs I used Photoshop for years, but never did become competent (i.e. infrequent use does not lead to familiarity w/ that program - it was irritating!).

Tried GIMP when I had a Linux distro on an old IBM laptop - and I agree not an easy program to become acquainted; however, like Photoshop, 'daily use' is probably needed?

Now after transitioning over to Apple in my retirement, I've been trying Pixelmator and feel that I can get a 'handle' on this one and pretty much is like the other two at least for my limited needs now - bought a Kindle book from Amazon for $10 - short and provides some basics (could be better & mixed reviews but has helped). Good luck - Dave :)

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-07%20at%206.15.38%20PM.png

Reaction score
Hey all. Didn't read every thread. But i switched to make. Called customer service explained i bought the wrong version. They gave me a download for mac. And serial numbers worked. Hope it works for you! :)

Reaction score
Just read photoshop 7. Just get download for 7. And your serial numbers should work! Never know until you try! Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 6GB Ram 21" and Mac G5 pro
If you get Adobe Photoshop CC Bundle (Creative Cloud) for $9.99/mo or $19.99/mo depending on what deal you get, you get Photoshop CC (latest version) and Photoshop Lightroom 5 and Behance Pro Membership and 20GB of Cloud storage.

Paying monthly rubs some people the wrong way but it's a pretty good deal overall. I currently use the Entire Creative Cloud/Master Collection, but I do a lot of different things.

I saw a new App come out in a magazine that looks like a real contender for Photoshop if I can remember the name or find the article I will post some more information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
The subscription for the Adobe CS6 Cloud versions allows you to use all programs on two computers, which can be either PC's or Mac's. Also, the programs do download to your local computer so you do not need to be connected to the internet to use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 6GB Ram 21" and Mac G5 pro
The subscription for the Adobe CS6 Cloud versions allows you to use all programs on two computers, which can be either PC's or Mac's. Also, the programs do download to your local computer so you do not need to be connected to the internet to use them.

Yeah, that is actually how I use it now. I use it on my iMac Desktop and on my Windows Laptop with no problems.

C

chas_m

Yes, just for the record:

1. Adobe CC is *not* a cloud-based program or suite. It is a program or programs that live *on your local hard drive.* You are paying whatever you are paying (the monthly fee) to use them, and your subscription is *validated* through an Internet connection.

2. You can work offline for *weeks* before a validation check is required.

3. If your subscription lapses for whatever reason, you can still open the work you did in Photoshop in other programs like Pixelmator, which read native Photoshop files. You just won't be able to use *CC* again until you restart your subscription.

Just trying to clear up some misconceptions -- I have not signed up for CC (I'm using Adobe CS3 in Mavericks, thanks) and don't use the programs often enough to justify a subscription to the full CC suite, so I'm shilling for Adobe here. IMHO the $10/month PS & LR deal currently running till the end of the month is a pretty good deal for those who can get by on just PS, but my machine doesn't meet the specs for it anyway.

Reaction score
Just downloaded the trial for Pixelmator and immediately don't like the all black background. I wonder if you can change it? I noticed their webpage is also black and difficult to see. I also cannot see any facility to watermark images? Any users out there?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just downloaded the trial for Pixelmator and immediately don't like the all black background. I wonder if you can change it? I noticed their webpage is also black and difficult to see. I also cannot see any facility to watermark images? Any users out there?

Concerning your first point, see pic attached of Pixelmator opened on a second desktop - do you mean the black background on the three windows of the app? I've had no problem especially in the main window where the photo editing is done - maybe just some time w/ the program will help accustom you to the appearance?

As to the 'watermark' question, I've not had a need but was curious - found this one reference HERE on their website - let us know if that helps; hopefully, others who have used watermarks w/ this program will 'chime in' - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-03-19 at 11.55.05 AM.png

Reaction score
Many thanks RadDave, most helpful. Yes, the three black boxes and these cannot be changed according to the manufacturer. The editing window is quite small as well don't you find? There's so much wasted space on the desk top, Yes one can enlarge the view but then you lose the other two boxes.
Any way, as I said, I've got the trial package for 30 days so I'll play with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.