Flashing desktop screen issue - 10.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Just as I thought things were going great, my desktop, along with all of it's folders, has started
to think it's either Christmas lights or doing the disco.

Every minute or so, all the folders and everything other than the dock and wallpaper disappear and reappear. Not causing any problems re whatever applications I am using, but it is very distracting when you are trying to work. I relaunched finder hoping that would do the trick, but no luck. Any ideas on this please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How old is your Mac and what are the spec?
What trouble shooting have you tried?

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thank you for responding. I did a little more research on my own after posting. Sometimes, just the posting triggers ye olde brain to come up with a solution. Found that some people were having problems with MacKeeper (which I don't have) and Google Drive, which I do have.

I dumped Google Drive, and the problem stopped. Seems sad though, that Mavericks and Google apps and to include Chrome, which I also had to stop using, don't get along too well. I loved Chrome,and I am hoping that they come up with a fix for the excessive CPU usage so that I can go back to it.

Thank you, and hope my reply helps someone else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should still be able to use Chrome, just don't use Google drive. I'm using Chrome (with the new updates) and so far have had no problem. I do not use Google drive.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Yes - I am going to try it again. There just seemed to be a lot of chatter on the forums about the CPU usage being excessive. My meagre income :) involves the use of Sketchup and Photoshop, so I was not sure if using Chrome was wise. I did sort out the problem I was having with it before where it would not "open" and then I found that it was hiding on the second monitor (TV with a VGA cable) but was concerned about it eating up my resources.
Thank you

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Oh - just read your post again. I got rid of Chrome last week, so I gather there are new updates? The last time that I downloaded it from the Google site, it said "New!" and spoke of 10.6 or later. Guessing that is the most recent version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is Google and other developers always a couple of operating system releases behind. Guess Kath this comes about from them working in a (mainly) Windows world where not much is ever updated.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Sigh... so true, but I must say that the third party apps that I use and which are put out by my I guess "smaller " developers are quick to update. Bless them. I use both Attachment Tamer and LightUp for Sketch Up and both developers were quick on the mark to update. The Attachment Tamer is a must, as in spite of the "send window friendly attachments," every image I try to send to my Windows clients is embedded. I had to resort to putting everything, even relatively little images in Dropbox after the Mavericks update, so they could download them. Fortunately it only took a couple of days for the AT update. Light Up is working like a charm, and the developer is another who is very quick to make his Mac customers happy, and it can't be easy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.