Windows PE, Ghost, and a MAC. I have it working but need some help.

Reaction score
I have been trying to boot a mac to Windows PE for a couple of weeks. It appears that a MAC will only boot to PE 3.x and not PE 4.x.

I AM able to get a MAC to boot to a Windows PE image that is PE 3.x 32 bit.I am trying to get a 64bit PE working to accommodate all of the available MAC drivers out there.

Has anyone had any luck getting a MAC to boot to a windows PE image either on a CD/DVD or a USB key?

I am hoping to get a good Windows PE image with ghost on it so I can back up any MAC with any configuration regardless of whether it is running a MAC OS, Windows, or both.

You can have Ghost do that backup if it does a sector backup which I am fine with.

I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a total waste of time since Windows PE is a sub set of Vista... Backing up any Mac is easy; it can be done with Carbon Copy Cloner (OS X and Recovery) and WinClone (Windows). You don't need Windows PE anything or Norton Ghost.

OP
B
Reaction score
We have some dual boot MAC's that run Mac os and Windows. I would like one solution that does it all.

Also PE can be based on Vista, 7, or 8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, there is not one backup solution (similar to Ghost) that will serve for all your Macs. The author of Carbon Copy Cloner indicated some time ago that he was working on a version that would do both HFS+ and FAT\NTFS. Nothing from him yet.

I understand what you're trying to do with Windows PE and Ghost, but to be honest, I don't think it's going to work, and if it should, it may be more time consuming than using what I indicated in my first reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.