Safari and pdf's

Reaction score
Safari 6.1 - OSX 10.8

When opening a pdf on a web site and attempting to Save the pdf or Print the pdf I often have a blank page. This is a weak flaw in Safari. I'm not sure if Apple thinks it's some security measure or what. So I'm forced back to using Google Chrome or FireFox. Those both open and Print or Save pdf's that are on a web site. Just sounding off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can't say I've had any problems in Safari with PDFs.

What your seeing is certainly not 'standard' behavior. Perhaps you have a broken plugin/extension. Worthy checking your Safari preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Extensions.

Do you have any that deal with PDFs? or pop-up blockers/ad-blockers.

I'd suggest turning off all extensions to start with. Then completely quit and restart Safari and try again.

DO you use Preview to view PDFs or have you got a third party application like Adobe Reader?

OP
B
Reaction score
I found some suggestions on the Internet and this one worked.
Close Safari / Spotlight search for this - AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
Drag this plugin to the Trash.
Restart Safari. Now I can Save or Print pdf's on web sites.
Yes, I use Preview and Adobe Reader but have Preview set as the default pdf Viewer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you're sorted. Adobe Reader is dreadful. Was bound to be a rouge plugin or extension.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks to all who chimed in! I came over from Windows where you can NEVER get any help from anyone.

Reaction score
I found some suggestions on the Internet and this one worked.
Close Safari / Spotlight search for this - AdobePDFViewerNPAPI.plugin
Drag this plugin to the Trash.
Restart Safari. Now I can Save or Print pdf's on web sites.
Yes, I use Preview and Adobe Reader but have Preview set as the default pdf Viewer.

Thanks Barry,
was having the exact problem as said topic. The deletion of that plug-in soon fixed it though!

Reaction score
I've just read your thread. I mistakenly started a new one today before I found this. I have exactly the same problem and it happens all the time so I'll try out the recommend cure. Thanks & regards Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just replied to your other thread, but that's not what you asked.... Your question was about "save as" not the fact that you couldn't save the file. Which is it?

Reaction score
Thanks Chscag, My problem was that after downloading PDF to my computer I was unable to save it. The only option to save being 'Save As'. Anyway it's now working just fine after I discard the plug-in. Paul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.