Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
R
Reaction score
Ok, that did not help at all. I did what was to be done with the intel based mac and the NVRAM did NOT reset at all.
The PRAM is for G4 based macs and the NVRAM is for intel based macs and using the NVRAM doesn't require holding keys down before grey screen comes up and so doesn't the open firmware method as that is also for PRAM OR non-intel based mac systems.
I have tried removing power cable, wait for 15 seconds then pluging devices and power back in, waiting 5 more seconds, then turning the mac on and nothing happens.

I also try holding the keys on the keyboard but the same thing happens. i am unable to reset the NVRAM on my intel based imac system.

I also try and hold power button down during the whole boot process. isnt there any 3rd party software i can use to reset it

OP
R
Reaction score
hello, again, do NOT post THAT website link again.
I know the differance between nvram and pram.
I dont wish to follow those steps again as they are not usfull.

I NEED SOME OTHER APP to reset for me if that is possable.

Also is there an alternative for BOOTCAMP for installing xp or dual booting with mac?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hello, again, do NOT post THAT website link again.
I know the differance between nvram and pram.
I dont wish to follow those steps again as they are not usfull.

In post #1 you asked for help resetting the NVRAM. I linked Apple's procedure on how to do it.

Just because the procedure did not work to solve your problem...it was not necessary to make the comments you made above (that I quoted).

If you want help around here...being friendly will get you more help!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also try holding the keys on the keyboard but the same thing happens. i am unable to reset the NVRAM on my intel based imac system.

Then, you're not doing it correctly or there is a problem with your iMac. The procedure Nick linked you to is the correct one for resetting the NVRAM on your iMac. Removing the power as you already tried is for resetting the SMC.

Why do you think you need to reset the NVRAM for setting up Boot Camp? Also, you might adjust your attitude a bit if you really want help from our forums.... ;)

OP
R
Reaction score
But, i have tried those procedures provided by apple and they DONT WORK. So, on intel macs please let me verify with you all, hat nvram and SMC is the same thing? Which holds the system time, boot disk, etc
I have read that guide or link to resetting non volaitil memory in apples website

OP
R
Reaction score
I know that on intel based macs the NVRAM AND SMC because they hold the same information such as startup disks etc

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, NVRAM and SMC reset are NOT the same thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No they are not the same thing. If you go to the Apple Knowledge Base and look up NVRAM and what it does, and then compare it to the System Management Controller (SMC) and what it does, you'll see the difference.

Also, you never answered our question as to why you think you need to reset the NVRAM before using Boot Camp?

OP
R
Reaction score
yes they are they both hold the same thing like system time, startup disk information according to the apples guide. Why dont u read urself. Or if you think i am wrong can you just tell me the differance between SMC and NVRAM here . PLEASE!

OP
R
Reaction score
i DONT WISH to use bootcamp. I want a program that can do the same thing as boot camp on a mac os x system but it cant be bootcamp. Im not talking about win xp emulators. i dont want emulation program. I need a dual boot setup so one which will let me boot xp and mac on intel based macs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From Apple:

Your Mac stores certain settings in a special memory area even if it is turned off. On Intel-based Macs, this is stored in memory known as NVRAM; on PowerPC-based Macs, this is stored in memory known as PRAM.

Information stored in NVRAM / PRAM includes:

Speaker volume
Screen resolution
Startup disk selection
Recent kernel panic information, if any

Now look at Apple's explanation of SMC:

After performing normal troubleshooting, these symptoms may indicate that an SMC reset may be necessary:

Fans
The computer's fans run at high speed although the computer is not experiencing heavy usage and is properly ventilated.

Lights
The keyboard backlight appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have this feature).
The Status Indicator Light (SIL) appears to behave incorrectly (on Mac computers that have an SIL).
Battery indicator lights, if present, appear to behave incorrectly (on portables that use non-removable batteries).
The display backlight doesn't respond correctly to ambient light changes on Mac computers that have this feature.

Power
The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.
The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
The battery does not appear to be charging properly.
The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity.

System Performance
The computer is running unusually slowly although it is not experiencing abnormally high CPU utilization.
Application icons may "bounce" in the Dock for an extended amount of time when launched.
Applications may not function correctly or may stop responding after being opened.

Video
A computer that supports target display mode does not switch into or out of target display mode as expected.
A computer that supports target display mode switches into or out of target display mode at unexpected times.

OP
R
Reaction score
so SMC hold the power, system performance, video and fans settings and the NVRAM holds the startup disks, speaker volume , screen resolution and the recent kernal panic information?

Thanks in advance.

OP
R
Reaction score
i dont need to reset SMC i need to reset the NVRAM instead of SMC. Because the NVRAM holds the startup disk and bootcamp wants be to update the rom info right?
So it must be the NVRAM. Since i have done that i just cant get it TO WORK!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i DONT WISH to use bootcamp. I want a program that can do the same thing as boot camp on a mac os x system but it cant be bootcamp. Im not talking about win xp emulators. i dont want emulation program. I need a dual boot setup so one which will let me boot xp and mac on intel based macs

Yes, you can setup a dual boot without using Boot Camp but it will require more work and may or may not perform as expected.

1. You will need to partition your hard drive manually to add a partition for XP

2. You will need a full install XP SP2 or SP3 disk. (MS or System Builder's OEM)

3. Boot your Mac with the XP disk, start the Windows XP installation, format the partition you created for XP as NTFS and then proceed with the XP installation.

4. Install drivers for XP

5. You may need to use an EFI boot loader such as rEFIt to get the dual boot to work.

The caveat here is that if your iMac is a 2010 model or later, you can not use XP. You can only use Windows 7 or 8, 8.1. You need to consider that also.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...i need to reset the NVRAM instead of SMC.

If you feel you need to reset the NVRAM...then see the link that I posted in post #2.

Ahem...the same procedure & link that you so RUDELY commented on in post #4!:(

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
ok thanks chscag,
Can you also tell me how to use rEFIt bootloader to dual boot window xp and mac os x?
If i dont use that bootloader would i still be given the options to choose between xp or mac os x?
If i dont use the bootloader of rEFIt, then is it still possable to choose between the 2 OS's?
say my mac already uses a bootloader then?
If i download another bootloader and wish to install it, would i need to restore my mac OS again. Are you able to guide through the install process for the rEFIt bootloader . I dont need you to tell me anything regards to partitioning my hard drive for ntfs xp install. I can use gparted to resize my mac os partition and make room for xp installation.
I just need to know wheat key to press on my PC dell keyboard with my imac to make it boot from the cd of xp and GPARTED LIVE OR EASY BCD

Thanks so much.
I rather not use boot camp. I will try it the advanced and hardeer way

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you also tell me how to use rEFIt bootloader to dual boot window xp and mac os x?
If i dont use that bootloader would i still be given the options to choose between xp or mac os x?

Installing rEFIt is fairly straight forward but it's a little hard to get it working right. You can read up on the instructions here. It's open source and free.

I'm not sure if you don't use a boot loader whether you will be able to choose which OS to boot upon startup. I think it may work but I have never tried it that way. You'll have to experiment.

I just need to know wheat key to press on my PC dell keyboard with my imac to make it boot from the cd of xp and GPARTED LIVE OR EASY BCD

You should be able to hold down your C key and make it boot from the CD. Otherwise, hold down the "Alt" key on the Dell keyboard and then choose the CD. Also, I'm not sure I would use GParted or easy BCD when Disk Utility can do the same thing a lot faster. But that's up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just to throw in here.

I believe that the OP doesn't want to use bootcamp because there was an EFI/SMC update required as discussed here.

It's not clear if the updates were completed successfully. Will rEFIt have similar issues if the EFI update isn't done?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.