• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows XP Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Hello everybody, I know some of you are going to be like why is he asking a windows question on mac forums, and I will answer that before I ask my question.. you guys are the smartest people on the internet, you all are very technical savy and have backgrounds on both systems. and I trust you ;) So thanks in advanced for attempting to answer this question.

So my question is this me and my family are going to be heading up to new hampshier to go snowboarding over winter break... it is going to take 6 hours to drive and we already have inverters to allow me to plug in my powewrbook and my dad to plug in his dell laptop so its going to be a pretty good ride for me and my brother..
but my dad has a verizon card in his computer and it does not work in my computer or else i would know how to solve this problem by putting it in my computer, but I need to know is there a way to take the internet from my dads verizon card on his dell laptop and share it to my powerbook... my dad won't let me buy an upgrade for his card that is compatible with my powerbook.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nobody knows if it is possible?

I wish i could just buy the card for my powerbook.. I have the money just not the permission from my dad, lol

Reaction score
you might need a crossover cable.. it pluggs in to the ethernet port of each laptop.. on the pc just tell it to share the connection and your mac should be able to confugure its self..

hope this works

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks good idea.. looks like tomorrow after school i will be driving to a computer store to buy one and then i will sit around all day hoping to get it to work, lol

Reaction score
if my idea does not work you can just use a router and share the signal

Reaction score
If your dad's laptop has WiFi, you could setup and ADhoc wireless network, then turn on ICS on the PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I'll bet you already tried this but just in case maybe you could get frivers that will allow the card to work with mac.

You could also wirelessly connect to share the interent if you have bluetooth

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is no supported way for it to work in the mac, although I found a hack that required alot of typing in terminal and I worked on that to try to get it to work. After working on it for house i realized the card i had was updated from the hack and was not going to work. but i pursued it for another couple of hours trying to figure out a way on my own to get it to work. I was unsuccesfull. but the windows pc was not my thing, although I use to be good at windows I have not used a windows computer in so long the knowlage of using one has started to leave my mind, how ever if i was told what to do I can figure it out which is why i asked here, I knew you guys would be very helpfull and with these ideas I shall work on it tomorrow.. hopfeully I will have a snow day

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.