MAC Air for Photoshop

Reaction score
Hi all

I've read and read and still can't find any definitive answer.

My 2008 iMac core duo is locking up more and more and i have no idea why...I've done everything apart from change the hard drive - that is an option next i guess.

The other idea is to replace it with a new Air but does anyone have any experiance of using Photoshop CS6 with an Air?

I'm not a major heavy user with massive files....generally its used for web graphics and advertising graphics so i estimate the largest file may be 200mb maximum.

Thanks in advance for all of your input.

Ps ideally i would like to get my iMac back to its reliable condition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Let me take on the iMac issue.

1. What do you mean when you say locks up? What happens exactly?
2. Which Mac do you have exactly? (Click the Apple logo top-left - About this Mac)
3. Which version of OSX?
4. How much RAM?
5. How much disk space remaining?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Ok basically the rainbow dot appears and doesnt go off for quite a while, sometimes and hour. Also i have heard a whirring kind of noise when i wake it up, sounds like a hard drive noise. Makes this noise - stops - starts again and repeats for quite a while but it is intermittent and doesnt do it every time.

I have a 2008 intel dual core, sorry cant remember the exact spec but its the first one of the aluminium machines, 21.5". I think its a 2.4ghz.

OSX is snow leopard latest update

4gb ram

Disk space i think has over 200gb free. Its a 320gb hard drive

Hope that helps and thanks again for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As a start download Onyx for Snow Leopard. Install it and run everything on the Automation tab.

That will repair permission, clear out caches, rebuild indices etc.

Once that's done reboot and post back on how it's behaving

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi sorry for the delay...thanks very much again for your reply.

I will do that and see how it goes. I'm sure I already did a disk permission repair but could be wrong.

To be honest it does seema little better when the fan speed is turned up high. I have noticed on occassion that the top of the screen is getting very hot but to be fair I never checked it when it was not causing any issues.

I'll do what you say though and see how it goes.

Really appreciate your help.

Anyone have any opinions on using an Air with Photoshop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Regarding your question about CS6 on Air, I had CS6 on my MacBook 5,1 (White 2009), Photoshop would start to lag as I added many layers and browsed through filters. On top of that, the polygonal lasso tool would lag a slight bit, as well.

I think the entry level 2013 MacBook Air is about twice as fast as that old MacBook I had, so I at least bet you would experience a bit of lag, but not the kind of sluggishness I was working with.

FTR, I'd try to fix the iMac first.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok basically the rainbow dot appears and doesnt go off for quite a while, sometimes and hour.

Also i have heard a whirring kind of noise when i wake it up, sounds like a hard drive noise. Makes this noise - stops - starts again and repeats for quite a while but it is intermittent and doesnt do it every time.

Your computers specs don't look too terrible (more ram might be better). If I got your iMac model correct...max ram is 6gig (8gig would be better).

It's very possible that the "rainbow wheel" you get (without getting too technical) is from not rebooting your computer enough. With 4gig of ram...the situation you describe can begin to occur (if the computer is used a lot/day)...in less than a week.

If this is not the case...it can also be caused by a dying hard drive.

And also this can occur if you have too many apps open at the same time.

Or a combination of some or all of the above.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
On your iMac issue:
When is the last time your had your computer cleaned on the inside?
Sounds to me like its getting clogged up with dust and starting to overheat.

CS6 on Mackbook Air:
Will it run, Yes very much so. Web graphics should be fine. Though keep in mind the MBA has lower resolution screen with makes editing a pain. That said, I wouldn't do any large size photo editing, although you can. But mostly due to screen size more so then processing power.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.