Problem installing Snow Leopard from disk?

Reaction score
Hey guys, someone brought this macbook Pro to me as they were having problems installing the OSX, she told me she was getting an error message stating her disc was damaged but I am not seeing that. Immediate problem is to eject her disc from the optical drive, I am not seeing an eject tab on the keyboard? I opened the Disk Utility and a window titled "OSX Install ESD" opened up. I am seeing 3 entries in the left pane, the HDD and Disk 1 [OSX install ESD??] and Disk 2 [OSX Base System??].

I selected the OSX Install ESD option and the EJECT tab in the window's Tool Bar is now active so I select it but I am getting a prompt showing

"EJECT FAILED-The disk "OSX Install ESD" could not be unmounted.
Make sure that all applications and files are closed on this disk"

How can I eject this disk to install the OSX with another Apple Disk please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I selected the OSX Install ESD option and the EJECT tab in the window's Tool Bar is now active so I select it but I am getting a prompt showing...

Is this MacBook Pro running the Mac OS or Windows. When the term "in the Windows tool bar" is mentioned...it gets confusing.

How can I eject this disk to install the OSX with another Apple Disk please?

- press & hold down the trackpad (or trackpad button) when the computer is rebooted
- press & hold the extreme upper right keyboard key (the one with the solid unterlined triangle icon on it).

* Nick

p.s. We also need to know what model MacBook Pro this is. Snow Leopard may not be compatible with it if it is a newer model.

Reaction score
If all else fails you can manually eject the disk using the small hole beside the disk slot.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry Nick, the "window's tool bar" meant there are a few options located at top of the window which opened up so nothing related to a "windows" OS. So let me first ask please, what is the "OSX Install ESD", I could not find any info on the net on this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If all else fails you can manually eject the disk using the small hole beside the disk slot.

Sorry...the optical drives on iMacs, Mac-Mini's, and Apple laptops do not have that disk eject hole.

Other than the tray-loading optical drives on Powermac G5's, Powermac G4's, and Mac Pro's. Apple computers have not had that eject hole in at least 10 years.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Nick, the "window's tool bar" meant there are a few options located at top of the window which opened up so nothing related to a "windows" OS. So let me first ask please, what is the "OSX Install ESD", I could not find any info on the net on this?

- Were you successful in ejecting the disk (per instructions above)?
- What model MacBook Pro are we talking about (info requested above)?

* Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, here's the skinny guys, this unit does not have any sort of tag on the base so I could not see the model or serial number underneath. Apparently there wasn't a cd in the optical drive but here's what happened. I clicked on the "OSX Install ESD" which was showing as mentioned then 2 disks appeared on the install screen [OSX Install ESD and Untitled so I chose the "Untitled" one and the OSX started loading on it's own. When finished the OSX is Mavericks and all is fine but I would like to clear up a few things for future knowledge please?

1] What were these 2 items I was seeing in the Disk Utility?
[OSX install ESD] and Disk 2 [OSX Base System]
I am guessing the OSX Install ESD was a recovery or factory image which contained the Mavericks software? If yes, then what's the OSX Base System?

2] I looked at all the apps included in this software but I am not seeing anything which will launch the webcam?

3] I am not seeing the Battery as in the older macbooks under the base, does this mean you need to open the base of this unit to get to and replace the battery?

4] I am seeing a small hole on the left of the optical drive's slot, is this for manually ejecting the disk? If yes, how does it work, like a regular external drive where you insert a paperclip?

M

MacInWin

Once it's booted, click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner, then About This Mac, More Info and tell us what results you get. Is the hole you see pretty large and oval, or very small and round? If larger an oval, It's probably the security hard spot, where a security cable can be attached to lock down the machine. Recent Macs, as Pigoo3 said, don't have the eject hole anymore. You use the keyboard to eject stuck disks.

As I recall, the installer for Mavericks created two logical drives from which to install, whiz is what you were seeing in Disk Utility. Without knowing the model of the machine, it's hard to diagnose much else. The battery and camera questions depend on the model number, which you should be able to get from the Apple Logo, etc., I described in the first paragraph.

If the applications folder has "FaceTime" in it, then that can be used to see if the camera works.

OP
M
Reaction score
I checked the About This mac initally but forgot to view the MORE INFO [sorry], anyway it shows Serial Number W8941K457XJ with 4gb RAM and 2.53ghz intel core 2 duo.

Yes, the hole in question is larger and oval shaped, not the same as on an external drive.

Yes, I can see the webcam working in Facetime.

So these two items [OSX install ESD] and Disk 2 [OSX Base System] were 2 logical drives? Can you tell me what's the difference between the two of them please?

Also, can you tell me which key on this keyboard ejects the optical drive?

M

MacInWin

Which key depends on what Mac, which is why we asked for that. Macs have two identifiers, both of which are in the menu of the Apple icon. One way is the year and time. My MBP, for example, is 17" early-2011. Apple also uses a format x,x where the two numbers tell you exactly which MBP it is. Mine is 8,3.

I used Mactracker to look up your serial number and got 15" mid-2009. I don't know the keyboard for that specific model, but look in the upper right corner of the keyboard for a key with symbol that looks like an underlined triangle. That's the eject key.

OP
M
Reaction score
Appreciate the answers but I am still lost with the "Macs have two identifiers", in simple terms does this mean one of the logical drives contains the Mavericks OSX? I am trying to figure out what the words OSX Install ESD mean?

Also, no, this KB does not have the underlined triangle button on top right which is why this is throwing me.

M

MacInWin

OSX Install ESD is the name of a logical drive. Based on your first post, I suspect that the failed installation left these two logical drives in place on the system. The reason you could not eject the OSX Install ESD is most likely that you booted from that logical drive, so you can't eject it, it's required for the OS to run. It's not a CD, it's a disk image. If you are a windows guy, it's like an ISO image of a drive, you can mount it, run from it, etc, but it doesn't have a physical reality. The OSX Base System is the set of installer files, also on a logical drive. You said it was Mavericks after installation. Mavericks is version 10.9. Is that what you saw in About This Mac after rebooting after the install? If so, you are done installing the OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll answer two of these questions:

3] I am not seeing the Battery as in the older macbooks under the base, does this mean you need to open the base of this unit to get to and replace the battery?

Yes. On newer "Unibody" MacBook Pro's...the battery is technically not supposed to be user removable (like on older models). Yes you do need to remove the bottom cover (same thing needs to be done to do ram upgrades). AND you need a tri-wing screwdriver to remove the battery.

4] I am seeing a small hole on the left of the optical drive's slot, is this for manually ejecting the disk? If yes, how does it work, like a regular external drive where you insert a paperclip?

That oval hole near the optical drive is for a security cable (keep the computer from being stolen in a more public access area). AFAIK...it is not the hole to eject the optical drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009) W8941K457XJ 2.53/2X2GB/250-5400/GLSY is the spec of your MBP, I have the same but with the 2.8GHz processor. Yours would certainly benefit from upgrading the RAM to the max of 8GB, it's not expensive.

OP
M
Reaction score
OSX Install ESD is the name of a logical drive. Based on your first post, I suspect that the failed installation left these two logical drives in place on the system. The reason you could not eject the OSX Install ESD is most likely that you booted from that logical drive, so you can't eject it, it's required for the OS to run. It's not a CD, it's a disk image. If you are a windows guy, it's like an ISO image of a drive, you can mount it, run from it, etc, but it doesn't have a physical reality. The OSX Base System is the set of installer files, also on a logical drive. You said it was Mavericks after installation. Mavericks is version 10.9. Is that what you saw in About This Mac after rebooting after the install? If so, you are done installing the OS.

Very well explained, thank you very much! Yes, it is 10.9 Mavericks which installed and now all is fine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok guys, understood on the security hole [thanks] now that leaves the question of the eject key on this KB, any ideas of which key it would be or if there isn't one?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The eject key would be the top right key above the delete key.

OP
M
Reaction score
Oh, I think I see what the deal is now, the owner had stuck a keyboard cover over the KB and the KB cover shows the power button image instead of the normal triangle image, thnaks, one last thing please, am I correct that the new Mavericks can be downloaded from Apple for "free"? If yes, I can use lion diskmaker to burn it to DVD?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...am I correct that the new Mavericks can be downloaded from Apple for "free"?

Yes...this info is all over the internet. Free Mavericks!:)

If yes, I can use lion diskmaker to burn it to DVD?

Lots of programs to burn DVD's. That's probably one of them.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.