iCloud - cant accept terms

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
I lost my Contacts although my phone wasnt connected to my Mac. I tried to restore from iTunes but it asks me to turn off Find my Phone in iCloud. I go to iCloud and it is all greyed out. Try to accept Terms & Conditions and I get "cant connect to server"

Had enough of my iPhone!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How did you lose your contacts? Do you store them just in the iPhone contact list or do you sync them with another service? (gmail, yahoo etc)

Which iPhone do you have? From that prompt I'm assuming you have iOS7, is that correct?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27 inch 2017. Processor 3.4GHz Inte Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Graphics Radeon Pro 570 4GB
Contacts were there when I switched off, and when I switched on the next day they were gone. Didnt do anything with the phone. I had previously synced with iTunes but when I go to restore it tells me I must switch off Find a friend in iCloud. When I try to get into iCloud it asks me to accept t & c's but when I go into t & c's it says unable to connect to server. I have Internet connection.

I have iPhone 4 with iOS7 which I upgraded some weeks ago.

I found a suggestion on aliosnews.com They say go to iCloud.com and install Find Friends. They say that when you sign into Find Friends the T & C's will come up and you can accept "in the back door" However, this doesnt happen, I sign in and it accepts my password without going to T & C's?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
So the contacts are only sorted on the phone? And synced with iCloud? Can you see them if you log into iCloud.com?

Hard boot the phone. Hold sleep/wake and home until the phone reboots.

Are you trying on 3G or wifi? Can you try the one you haven't?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks you for your help. Contacts are added on the phone and backed up in iCloud. I have logged into iCloud on PC and yes contacts are there.
Have tried a Hard Boot but no change. Think It would be working on WiFi while at home. I have turned off WiFi and tried but to no avail, when I try to access iCloud I cant get past T & C's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sideline the restore for now. Because once you make a proper connection to iCloud the contacts that are there will sync to your phone.

Go to settings - iCloud - hit the switch next to contacts and choose delete from my phone if prompted.

Restart your phone then go back to the same place and switch contacts back on.

Now go to the Contacts app. Keep hitting whatever is displayed top-left until you get to the Groups screen.

Make sure you have a tick next to All iCloud.

Out of interest to see if you are making a connection to iCloud. If you sync your Notes to iCloud create a new one on your phone, edit it at iCloud.com(I you can and see if you can see the changes back on your phone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I dont think I did as you intended. The only option I was allowed to select was Delete iCloud account from my phone. Everything else was greyed out because I couldn't accept T & C's.
Anyway, I deleted the account and I have signed in again. This has allowed access to iCloud and restored photos (which were lost when I deleted the iCloud account)
However, it has not restored Contacts. When I log into iCloud on my PC the Contacts are there and the Contacts switch is on in iCloud?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of interest to see if you are making a connection to iCloud. If you sync your Notes to iCloud create a new one on your phone, edit it at iCloud.com(I you can and see if you can see the changes back on your phone.

I have tried turning on Notes. When I do so, it offers me to create a free @icloud.com email address to Turn on notes and wont turn on Notes unless I do so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, forget notes.

Did you go into the contacts app?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I dont have an app marked Contacts, is it the one marked Phone?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They just appeared!!! PHEW!

Thank you so much for your help, I am most grateful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good stuff. Sounds like some kind of authentication issue with iCloud. The old turning it off and on again (or deleting and recreating) wins again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW all iPhones have a contacts app.

If you don't know which folder it's in etc pull down on the home screen and search for it to launch it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.