Is my machine fast enough ?

Reaction score
I purchased a second had iMac last week and so far no problems until i installed the only game i play on the PC (Football Manager 2014), all other games i play on the XBOX, not a very highly graphical game and i would not have though very demanding but its very jittery when viewing a football match and the drive seems to be running a lot.

if i put the game in windowed mode and make it smaller that helps but with a 27in monitor thats not what i wanted to do.
I have not yet tried any other games on the Mac but i was wondering if I should have got a faster machine ???

Specs : iMac "Core i3" 3.2 27-Inch (Mid-2010) Specs (Mid-2010, MC510LL/A, iMac11,3, A1312, 2390) @ EveryMac.com

Apple iMac "Core i3" 3.2 27-Inch (Mid-2010) Specs

4 + 8 GB memory installed in slots

By default, this model has an ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory

Standard Hard Drive: 1 TB (7200 RPM) Int. HD Interface: Serial ATA (3 Gb/s), virtually empty with MAVERICK installed

Apple Model No: A1312 (EMC 2390) Model ID: iMac11,3

I am thinking of reinstalling SNOW LEOPARD and restarting the machine but i am not sure if that will help ????
Is there any advice to get it running at top speed or any apps i should get to help me identify the problem area ???

Cheers

Gavin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature block :)
Hi Jasperuk,

I normally check what system requirements are required before I install a game. Seeming as though you have a 2013? game trying to run on a ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory. I believe that is the problem.

I don't normally play games on my mac and I wish I could tell you more on that subject.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think i would agree the CPU is not overloaded and the memory seem fine i cant see the cpu load unfortunatly, good job i kept the PC i can play it on there .....

... or maybe buy a better iMac :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Load up Activity Monitor (Applications->Utilities->Activity Monitor) and monitor the CPU/RAM usage when you're playing the game..

The i3 is a dual-core CPU and running at 3.2 GHz, it should in theory be able to handle that game as long as it meets the minimum requirements of it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature block :)
I have just found this,

Mac System Requirements

Processor: Intel Core 1.8GHz+
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 7300 GT ATI Radeon X1600 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Hard Drive: 3 GB available space
Additional Notes: OpenGL 2.0 compliant

So comparing that with your iMac specs only tells me that your iMac beats the minimum system requirements needed to operate the game.

Your ATI Radeon HD 5670 in comparison to the X1600 has pros and cons.
It is better than the X1600 but the X1600 has better memory bus for example.
I believe it would run on your iMac just in a lower resolution.

I hope this helps.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the info ....

....as a test i decided to load the only other PC game i have that i know works on the mac ... The SIMS3 and would you believe it worked perfectly, full screen, full resolution and all the detail turned up not a problem ..... ???

That suggest there is something wrong with the FM2014 game, loaded it on the PC no problems there but the mac just does not like it .... very strange !!!!

If nothing else it saves me buying a faster mac ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.