Parralells VM not starting after Maverick Update

Reaction score
Hi,
I was using Parallels v8 happily with Windows 7 professional until i upgraded to Maverick. Now windows tries to start but then hangs at welcome and just drops back to windows start page after a minute of so. I have the latest version of V8 which Parallels say will work.
Ive tried reinstalling Parallels and have reported the issue but not hopeful of a quick result. Can anyone help or has anyone had similar issues.
Many thanks,
Mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's possible that the latest version of Parallels is not compatible with Mavericks (Mavericks is newer).

Have you checked the Parallels website for any sort of updaters?

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
No. Ive checked that. Im running the latest version of parallels 8 and it is compatible.
Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature block :)
Hi Spartan07,

I got a lot of emails from Parallels about the new OSX Mavericks and how my Parallels 7 would not work with the new OSX. They also said I need to upgrade to Parallels 9 before I update my OSX otherwise it won't work and I would have to reinstall windows again. It also said Parallels 9 would be the only version to work with OSX Mavericks. So in the end, I paid 50$ for the upgrade from Parallels 7 to 9 and then I installed Mavericks.

Although I received this message in german, it clearly states in the second paragraph that you must have version 9 of parallels installed prior to installing OSX Mavericks and that parallels 9 is the only version to work with OSX Mavericks.

I hope this helps.

aaaaaaa.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
From the Parallels website:
Service Alert for Parallels Desktop 8 Users Upgrading to Mavericks – October 23, 2013!
If you intend to upgrade to Mac OS X Mavericks (10.9), and are running Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac, you must be running the most recent update (build 8.0.18608). Select “Check for Updates” in the Parallels Desktop menu or click here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See signature block :)
They bloody lied to me! On my email I received it said you had to run the latest version of Parallels (v9) to use it on Mavericks...

Too late now to argue I guess :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It does say version 7 users will need to upgrade to 9 but it seems you should be ok with 8.

Though the message is a little ambiguous. It's not clear if you have to have that update prior to installing Mavericks . .

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They bloody lied to me!
Yes, yes they did (unfortunately):
Screenshot 2013-11-05 10.51.11.png

Spartan07, have you consider that this might be a Windows issue (assuming you have a supported version of Parallels installed)? Have you tried creating a new Windows VM to see if that works?

OP
S
Reaction score
I was using the latest patched version of Parallels 8 ok. I can't see the issue being Windows at it was working the day before. I don't have a backup of the original VM:( Creating a new one won't help.

Parallels 9 allows access to new features but version 8 should work.

Is there a way to verify the existing windows installation or even re install without losing data?

Thanks for help so far everyone.
Mike

Reaction score
Parallels 9 and Windows 8 crashing repeatedly

Bought my first Mac (MacBook Pro 15 retina) a month ago and Parallels Desktop to run Office suite where my clients still live. For the first 2 weeks it worked fine, then it started crashing repeatedly, sometimes causing the loss of open documents or part thereof. I've had at least four remote sessions with Parallels support but it crashed again within an hour of the last session and continues to do so regularly. I can't seem to find any information in the Windows error logs to explain what is happening, but it's probably between Mavericks and PD9, since PD9 closes too. Any thoughts on where I should look for information with Mavericks or PD9 to help figure this out?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's likely a Parallels 9 problem. If Parallels is crashing it will take down the Windows VM without any error logging within Windows. All I can suggest is to access the Parallels user forums and see if you can get help peer to peer which is usually better than the Parallels support personnel.

Reaction score
Parallels 9 and Windows 8 crashing repeatedly

chscag, that makes perfect sense on the lack of Windows error logging, and if Mavericks is kicking PD9 to the curb for some reason, there won't be any PD logging either. Might there be some in Mavericks somewhere? (Sorry, a newbie question)
I'll check the PD forums as you suggest as I'm sure they're more helpful than the support folks.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.