Need this in English

Reaction score
Hi all, I have had this post below sent to me and I would like to see if any of you could put this in plain English for me:Blushing: As I am still learning and the person who wrote it is rather rude! So I thought I would come where all the friendly people are or help;)
Cheers wemac :)
I'm sure most of the bugs and irritating problems will get sorted out eventually. After all, this is version 0 of a major software update, with most of the changes taking place 'under the hood' for speed and battery life improvements.

I have to say that I find that Ted Landau article totally complacent and lazy, as there is a VERY serious problem with data loss on external Western Digital (WD) and others when Mavericks is installed. WD has emailed everyone they have records of to tell them to uninstall it (whilst simultaneously removing from their website so you can't download the uninstaller!)

It seems that the WD software (The WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager, and WD SmartWare software) is probably the cause of many individuals and companies losing Tb's of data and backups. If the software is installed, and you need to install the WD RAID Manager to change a WD Studio II drive from RAID 0 to RAID 1 (mirrored), then as soon as you upgrade to mavericks you run a very real risk of your data being wiped from your external drives.

So, if you have the WD software installed and you upgrade to Mavericks, your external WD drive could get wiped anytime in the next few days. Not only branded WD drives are at risk, as reports on the Apple Support Forum, the WD support Forum and other places of G-TECH (Hitachi, who are owned by WD) LaCie, Promise RAID and even Seagate drives being wiped have been coming in since Mavericks Golden Master (GM) was issued nearly five weeks ago. It may also be affecting bare WD drives in external cases with other branding on them, as WD is one of the two companies that still make the hard drive mechanisms.

Picture someone who does everything correctly and by the book.

They take a clone of their previous boot drive setup onto an external drive so that if anything goes wrong they can simply clone it back over the new installation.

They use an external drive, possibly even a RAID 1 unit for backup using Time Machine.

They might use another external drive (or another internal WD drive in a Mac Pro) to hold their data, their iTunes Library and/or their iPhoto library.

If they use WD or some other external drives and upgrade this system to Mavericks they could lose ALL their data and backups, and despite the soothing words from WD support and lazy 'journalists' like Mr Landau, the chances are that only data recovery will get the data back. Data recovery software usually get the data back, but the file names will all be deleted, as well as the folder structure, leaving you with a complete mess.

And WD have known about this for WEEKS! Hundreds of people including professional photographers with Tb's of critical data, have had the data wiped from their drives.

A PR disaster for WD and, I'm afraid, Apple.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Napster Translation: WD Bad! Mavericks Bad!

:)

OK, longer translation..

It seems there is some incompatibility with software that WD makes to manage their devices and Mavericks. Nothing in the post specifically states what this is apart from the ominous claims of people losing TB's of data magically..

The solution, as suggested by the post, is to either uninstall any WD software before upgrading to Mavericks, or not upgrade to Mavericks until your data is safe on some non-WD device and thus out of reach of this harmful software..

I'm curious, what instigated this exchange anyway?

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi RazOrEdge,
I had posted a link from Macworld on "Mac os X Bugs and Fixers and trouble shooting tips" as there had been a few talking about this and that was that really. Im no expert just trying to learn myself.

Thanks for your help:)
wemac

OP
W
Reaction score
Ok are there really that many problems with Maverick? I am just sick of the complaining from posts on the page Im on. Surely it can't be that bad??

Just want to shut them up lol
Cheers weamac

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't read that thread then.

Seriously - while I like WD drives, I wouldn't let any of their drive "management" software touch one my machines under any operating system. It's been problematic for years and years - nothing new there.

Just bought 2 WD drives this past weekend - first thing I did was delete their software package.

You can't blame the failure of a piece of software on the OS.
It is not the OS developers responsibility to make sure that the millions of pieces of software that have been put out over the last 30 years works with their OS.
It is the software developers job to make sure their software plays nice with the OS.
While I personally wouldn't touch it, I am not convinced the issue is the WD software and not user error.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.